Burning a Cucumber Tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryNick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
These are not very common outside of the Appalachian mountain chain.

They are a type of magnolia tree and usually goes by the name of Cucumber Magnolia or just a Cucumber tree. The scientific name is magnolia acuminata.

Before I go throwing it in the fireplace, I wanted to see if anyone had experience burning it.

I've seen them all my life but never used any for firewood. My friend had one recently cut down that had died and was in danger of falling on some power lines. They offered me the wood so I got it. To me it smells just like oak when it's being split. A friend said he thought it smelled like apple.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
HickoryNick

No, you don't want to burn that stuff. Give me your address, and I'll come take it off your hands so you don't have to worry about it. :D

Seriously, never heard of it, but from what you describe, why not? Give it a try and let us know how it works!

BlueRidgeMark said:
No, you don't want to burn that stuff. Give me your address, and I'll come take it off your hands so you don't have to worry about it. :D

Seriously, never heard of it, but from what you describe, why not? Give it a try and let us know how it works!

LOL. You had me going there for a second BRM.

It's gonna have to season a bit, but I may find a couple of semi dry pieces to throw on a camp fire and study it. I'll just wait a bit before I throw any weiners on it.

Oh and here's something interesting about the tree. I got to splitting an upper portion of it (I figured it was 20ft up) and found a bullet. It went in about 4" and had 28 growth rings from the entry. The tree had been dead several years, so I figure it was from the early to mid 70's that it got hit. .38 by the looks of it. I might orta check my the local law enforcement to see if they have any cold cases from that time period and are LOL.

HickoryNick

Nick, where are you in SWVA? I'm in stuart. Mark that goes for you as well.

I'm a member of a woodcarvers guild. We sometimes get what has been called cucumber wood for carving. Excellent for this use - fairly soft and very even consistent grain - much like basswood or linden, just a tad softer. Could we be talking about the same tree?

Back