Burning brush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, not impressive, smallest pile I have ever burned. That is one that wouldn't burn last time I tried but it was right in the way for next summer.

001-2.jpg

Eyeballed the log waiting to be cut up when it gets dry enough in that bottom to get the PU in there:

002.jpg

Gonna be some work/fun working it up. Way over 4' at this end, extends there around 50' ending at about 20" diameter. It is clear of the ground at the stump and rests on the tip plus some limbs. Means every cut will want to pinch. Lots of bore cutting and wedging.

Dunno how many cords I will get but I bet it will be one 'pile', several 'ricks', maybe some 'ranks' or just one 'heap'.

Harry K

Last edited:
LOL, our wood lot is in a rural area of the county. We pile brush and push it up with a track hoe. We burn a pile about 50' across and 20' high every 3 months or so. Got to love a good bonfire!

What ever it takes! The pile looks fine to me and nice looking tree, I must say I am jealous. I can't wait to get out there and cut, but we just got ANOTHER 6" of snow this weekend! This is getting VERY old out here!:cry:

Nice tree! Lots of good heat in that one. When we clear fencerows we do it like tree md only we do the whole burn job in a day. We "windrow" brush out in the field and push with a tractor with bucket or a track loader.

This was one we did last year and fence row was 3/4 mile long. Coal pile from brush burnt for 2 weeks.

attachment.php

What ever it takes! The pile looks fine to me and nice looking tree, I must say I am jealous. I can't wait to get out there and cut, but we just got ANOTHER 6" of snow this weekend! This is getting VERY old out here!:cry:

I, too, have CWD (Chainsaw Withdrawal Disease) bad. Want to be out there cutting but the frost is out of the ground and just too muddy. I would have to pack the equipment in 100 yards over a plowed up ground. 4 steps in that stuff aorund here and I would have 15 lbs of crap hanging from each boot.

Harry K

002.jpg

Gonna be some work/fun working it up. Way over 4' at this end, extends there around 50' ending at about 20" diameter. It is clear of the ground at the stump and rests on the tip plus some limbs. Means every cut will want to pinch. Lots of bore cutting and wedging.

Dunno how many cords I will get but I bet it will be one 'pile', several 'ricks', maybe some 'ranks' or just one 'heap'.

Harry K

Now I'm not really sure what a "rick" or a "rank" is....... since the only legal measure of firewood here is a cord, but I'm willing to bet you may even have a "runk" or even a "reap" there !! :cheers:

Old dthread but it did bring up some pleasant memories. That is the house where I had permission to bounce trees off of.

Odd, pictures no longer match up with the text...but anyhow:

Out burning brush todya, I've been waiting for a good snow cover to get back to Von's. Last summers progress there left somewhere around 30 piles. Burning went "sorta" okay.

1. Problem 1. I had stashed 5 gallons of diesel there so I wouldnt' have to pack it in. Forethought is great but mine slipped. I left the walking boards used on my portable bridge (1/2 of an extension ladder) to get across the deep ditch on the wrong side. You may now picture an 83 YOA teetering across on the side rails of the ladder. Came very close to visiting the bottom of that ditch.

2. 5 gallon of diesel to get 7 piles lit off is not very economical

Probably go back tomorrow with more diesel and continue burning piles plus push the leavings from today's burn together hoping to get them relit.

sorry for no pics but I still haven't found a way to down size pictures so AS will accept them. Photobucket can go take a flying leap.

Old dthread but it did bring up some pleasant memories. That is the house where I had permission to bounce trees off of.

Odd, pictures no longer match up with the text...but anyhow:

Out burning brush todya, I've been waiting for a good snow cover to get back to Von's. Last summers progress there left somewhere around 30 piles. Burning went "sorta" okay.

1. Problem 1. I had stashed 5 gallons of diesel there so I wouldnt' have to pack it in. Forethought is great but mine slipped. I left the walking boards used on my portable bridge (1/2 of an extension ladder) to get across the deep ditch on the wrong side. You may now picture an 83 YOA teetering across on the side rails of the ladder. Came very close to visiting the bottom of that ditch.

2. 5 gallon of diesel to get 7 piles lit off is not very economical

Probably go back tomorrow with more diesel and continue burning piles plus push the leavings from today's burn together hoping to get them relit.

sorry for no pics but I still haven't found a way to down size pictures so AS will accept them. Photobucket can go take a flying leap.

open the picture in whatever you use to view them on your computer , open Snipping Tool it is an application that is a part of the windows install. then you can take a snip of the screen with the picture you are viewing and save it as a jpeg that will upload fine to AS.

also allows you to draw on the picture.

open the picture in whatever you use to view them on your computer , open Snipping Tool it is an application that is a part of the windows install. then you can take a snip of the screen with the picture you are viewing and save it as a jpeg that will upload fine to AS.

also allows you to draw on the picture.

Thanks, I had never seen or heard of that. I'll play with it.

Back