Burning corn in an OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksnbears

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Fellas. A friend has access to about 1000 bushel of field corn that was combined. Truck tipped over in a steep ditch and dumped the load.
My thought are it would be great to recover it and burn in his OWB.
Am I correct or not?
Anyone here done it?
Pro/ con?

itll work.. ive done it.. but you need a large bed on hot cools to pull it off.. takes much to get it started...and go at it sparingly

Yup, I'd just toss in a small bucket twice a day maybe. It'll be worth some btu's but wont' burn well on it's own.

Yup, I'd just toss in a small bucket twice a day maybe. It'll be worth some btu's but wont' burn well on it's own.
corn WILL burn on its own,,ever see a old time elevator on fire???i have!!! lights the whole sky for miles around. that's why you need a thick hot bed of coals

corn WILL burn on its own,,ever see a old time elevator on fire???i have!!! lights the whole sky for miles around. that's why you need a thick hot bed of coals

I knew I should have said that differently. In a wood stove I wouldn't expect corn to burn on it's own. It needs either forced air, or rather high temps. Yes, a hot bed of coals or throw it in on each layer of wood. Can you burn 10 bushel and 10 cu/ft a day? I know a couple of farmers with central boilers, I'll have to ask them if they've ever tried mixing corn in. Last I seen they were throwing net wrapping off round bales in there too so who knows.

Biggest problem I see is the corn is probably not dry enough to burn well, if at all. Most corn coming out of the field is 16% moisture or higher. Corn doesn't burn well above 14.5% moisture. Just my .02¢

Biggest problem I see is the corn is probably not dry enough to burn well, if at all. Most corn coming out of the field is 16% moisture or higher. Corn doesn't burn well above 14.5% moisture. Just my .02¢
Not sure what seed corn gets dried down to? Buddy of mine has heated his place for years on it. He has a dedicated corn burning stove/boiler sys. Works nice. Corn splits and stacks sooooo well:drinkingcoffee:

A buddy of mine has a corn OWB. He is a farmer and grows all his own corn. Heats a very large shop and house.

A buddy of mine has a corn OWB. He is a farmer and grows all his own corn. Heats a very large shop and house.

That would be neat to see, a guy to the north of us was one of the first with a corn burner in his house, took about a bushel a day. That's when corn was under $2 a bushel though, I believe they used forced air to keep the fire going. It's been a few years but the local fair had a setup where they had burners like that. The one they had, and were still kind of working on was a round bale burner for cornstalks mainly. They had corn burners that were also belt driven to feed the chamber, pretty neat but that round bale burner looked interesting.

Back