burning driftwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have burnt driftwood on the beach in a bonfire. It made some very pretty colors, probably from the various chemicals and salt it picked up.

thanks for the replies.
the corrosion is what i am most concerned about.
i have a masonry chimney and i am not sure what , if anything, the salt would do to it ?

the stuff on the sandy beaches can be pretty hard on the chain. Fresh stuff on the rocky beaches is not too bad. Bucking it up is much easier than milling it with a CSM.

The stuff at the top of the beach is often as dry as kiln dried and burns about the same. The amount the logging companies "loose" means there is no shortage of choice.

The salts in driftwood make it hard on chimneys, more the mortar than the bricks themselves; I have rebuilt a couple of brick fireplaces (well helped rebuild) where the mortar had basically turned to dust. Steel and stainless fair not much better, same with the cheap sheet metal stoves (or oildrum stoves too), I'd be wary. Though I do occasionally burn driftwood myself I like it to sit out in the rain over at least a winter, this seems to flush most of the salts out and I have not had a problem. Cutting beach wood is also a pain, sand, grit, imbedded rocks, as well as mystery metal (old towing dogs, bolts, nails etc), so if you're going to be cutting on the beach use a 'beater' bar and chain for sure and do a really good cleaning afterwards. Just my humble 0.02$ worth.
:)

Latest posts

Back