Burning Elm.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After burning Ash for years I am now buring standing dead elm I have taken down. About 90% the bark has fallen off and the other 10% the bark comes off of easly.

So burning it I am not finding at the front of the furmace a hunk of ash stuck together like a clinker my folks got when burning coal.

Is this common for Elm wood?

:D Al

I burn a lot of standing dead Elm and do not have any clinkers form. Burning a Pacific Energy Super 27 non catalytic stove. I do find with Elm that it burns very easily and leaves me with a bunch of coals to burn down. I don't get the amount of coals with Hickory , Oak or Cherry.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Yes it is common. You may also get very colorful streak of ash with hues that might include blue, yellow, or red from whatever minerals it was holding in the wood.

I have a slight leak in the door gasket, can hear it whistleing during the night. thought that may be causeing it, but going to wait till the season is over to replace the gasket.

I always get klinkers from Elm too. Doesn't seem to matter if its just one piece mixed in or a whole load of it, still some hard ash in the stove. I've noticed Cottonwood does this sometimes too

I still have the second Elm I dropped to clean up.Lots of limbing small twigs from the tops. Is muddy again so tired of dealing with the mess, going to leave it till it drys out. Once it does dry out I will take the chippe rshredder over to it and clean up the branches rather than build a brush pile.

Going to see if I can tke down another dead one but is close to the bee garden and hives, The way it is leaning. Am going to set the ladder up then hook a chain in a Y branch hook a couple more chains up and use the Bota to apply pressure away from the bee hives.

Sounds like a good YouTube video in the works.

Make sure you film it.

Nope not going to fool around doing a youtube of the job. Jump in do it and get it on the ground and cut up.

Going to have to wait till Tuesday at least now.

:D AL

Nobody gonna mention finding elm bark beetles on windowsills and curtains? I cant be the only one...
Usually when splitting dead elm I find lotsa borer larva under the loose bark.

This one should be fun getting down with out it going in one of Kares gardens or messing up the Japanese maple.

It is down a bit more up hill than I had planed. but it came down with doing any damage to surrounding trees or Kares flower bed.

The chain I had hit the screw in step with Ive sharpened twice so far and it still wants to cut in a circle.
will grind it once mre and if that doesn't straighten the thing out I'll cut it down and hust it on the weed trimmer.

Finshed blocking it and splitting it yesterday. Now on to the one near the honey bee hives and the bee garden.

I got a bunch of standing dead Red Elm from a friend last year. It does make hard clinkers in the ash. It's the only wood I have seen do that. Pretty good dense firewood though.

Jerry

As a kid We burnt a lot of popple, it is a self thinning type wood. Meaning after a property is clear cut it grows back so thick you can hardly walk thru it. Over the next 20 years a lot will die off making room for some to grow huge.
I think it makes some pretty decent fire wood when kept dry.

As kids we burnt it in a Warm Morning pot belly stove. Fill it at bed time and when we got upoat 5:00 AM to milk cows there would still be a bit burning to keep the fire going.

Any way the Elm I worryied about comeing down on the bee hives didn't. Down and will cut it up tomorrow.

Back