burning hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I wound up giving this one lady a big load of hemlock logs this past spring to burn. I tried to talk her out of it, but she wanted the wood man. What harm can possibly come out of burning hemlock? For some reason I thought it was poisonous.

LOL. No. No more poisonous than most deciduous trees, less than some I'd imagine (less btu's too, but it burns just ok). Been reading any Socrates lately?

:rockn: :rockn:

I'd have a lot of dead campers now if it was. All they have is burns from it popping and throwing coals at them. It's a real fun wood in a campfire.

It's good for a coal base but from what I've read about it; burning long-term (by itself) creates more creosote in the chimney because of it's high-resin content.

Why people choose to burn it long-term is beyond me. Knew a guy that paid ~ $800 for a 5-7 cord log truck load of Hemlock when I could of got him a 10-12 cord load of Cherry, Maple, Alder, & Birch for just over $700.

I remember talking to a fellow from the far north some time back he said all they had to burn was pine. No hardwoods that far north in Canada. I would think it would be fine if it was dry
Just my 2 cents

Back