burning plastic, no, wait a moment!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used kindling. When I had my old stove, I could get 12 hour burns out of it and would empty hot coals and ashes in a tin pail every couple weeks or so, put it out in the yard to burn out, then dump in compost. Leave a bed of hot coals and restart. Now, we got a new pretty stove, and weather has been nice enough that I let the fire go out almost every day. Been doing this about 3 years now. Every body kept yelling at me for using my propane torch to light the fire, then last year, for Christmas they bought me a two pack of Rutland fire starters. This stuff is a miracle. I make sure I did a little hole in the ashes and put one 2X2 square in the hole. Put dry fire wood on top, light with one match, leave the draft full open, or leave the door cracked, 15 minutes late the whole load of wood is burning. The first pack lasted two years. Just started the second pack. Also use it to start burning my brush piles or fire pit outside. One square on them too. Stuff is amazing.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...4I6ETd7phD0u8V9SGAxoC5VcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have never used kindling. When I had my old stove, I could get 12 hour burns out of it and would empty hot coals and ashes in a tin pail every couple weeks or so, put it out in the yard to burn out, then dump in compost. Leave a bed of hot coals and restart. Now, we got a new pretty stove, and weather has been nice enough that I let the fire go out almost every day. Been doing this about 3 years now. Every body kept yelling at me for using my propane torch to light the fire, then last year, for Christmas they bought me a two pack of Rutland fire starters. This stuff is a miracle. I make sure I did a little hole in the ashes and put one 2X2 square in the hole. Put dry fire wood on top, light with one match, leave the draft full open, or leave the door cracked, 15 minutes late the whole load of wood is burning. The first pack lasted two years. Just started the second pack. Also use it to start burning my brush piles or fire pit outside. One square on them too. Stuff is amazing.
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...4I6ETd7phD0u8V9SGAxoC5VcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I found six Duraflame fire logs at a yard sale. I take a hammer and wood chisel and chisel off a little piece, a piece about 1" X 1". I place large wood in the bottom of the woodstove and then a little kindling on top of the large wood. On top of that I put the 1x1 cube and light it up. Then I place a couple of small pieces of kindling on top of the fire starter cube. One log last me a whole heating season and I got six for $5! This is a top down fire and it works great!

I'm pretty sure this is the exact brand, and this is the Ace Hardware price. I don't think she paid that much, and hers was a two pack, so it may have come from a big store like Costco. Don't know if it's available over in your neck of the woods, Neil. But, it it is, you should try it once. One little bitty square will light any fire. I built this fire In the rain last week and in 15 minutes it was roaring.20200226_120831.jpg

Back