burning plastic, no, wait a moment!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I even gave you hints to aid you in your research yet you failed to use them.
You have access to the same information I do yet you refuse to take the time to look at it.

Yes when you don't even bother to look it up yourself, but just want to argue a point you haven't looked up yourself. I gave you some simple definitions yet you still argue. If you doubt something someone is fact, get off your ass and fined the evidence to prove me wrong.
Well now I see all out reading comprehension is an issue for you. I already stated I looked but couldn’t find anything. I am sitting on my ass though while researching. Maybe I should try standing up?

An
I even gave you hints to aid you in your research yet you failed to use them.
You have access to the same information I do yet you refuse to take the time to look at it.
And you claim you don’t have the time to research it yet here you still are

Yes when you don't even bother to look it up yourself, but just want to argue a point you haven't looked up yourself. I gave you some simple definitions yet you still argue. If you doubt something someone is fact, get off your ass and fined the evidence to prove me wrong.

I spent 20 to 25 minutes researching and reading.

Zero to support your claim.

Leave you claim unsupported for all I care.

You are giving very bad advice, IMO, and it is dangerous.

"More than a year ago I wrote a blog on the issue of low grade plastic packaging disposal, litter, by burning it in stoves. Although outside the field of my direct expertise,"

I see zero documentation.

Zero.

This is a case of 'you can find anything on the internet'.

Read more about because another site that agrees I did not find.

FWIW, when I was growing up all the farms applied chemicals to the fields, triple rinsed the jugs per regulations, and them piled and burned the jugs right at the edge of the field. We all did it, fertilizer and seed bags too. Hot little pile, all burned in about fifteen minutes.

I don't know if they still do it that way. Next time I'm in the area I'll ask.

I know they still use burn barrels, most farms have a blower to supply air and the drums glow red and emit no visible smoke.

We never had garbage service and I can promise that anything worth recycling was recycled. Not in the eco good feels way, but in real practical put it to good use way.

It’s funny this topic came up because I just read the below article.
http://flo-bro.com/save-the-oceans-burn-plastic/

Thank you for posting the article. Food grade plastics do not contain PVC's or sulfur.
PET/PETE is not a PVC based plastic and do not cause dioxins to be released when burned.
But these lazy hacks can't spend 5 min looking it up even though I gave them a hint.
It took me all of a few min looking it up.
Polystyrene is an organic based polymer but does contain benzene but no PVS's or sulfur.
Burning it releases benzene but not dioxins witch is more toxic then PET/PETE.

FWIW, when I was growing up all the farms applied chemicals to the fields, triple rinsed the jugs per regulations, and them piled and burned the jugs right at the edge of the field. We all did it, fertilizer and seed bags too. Hot little pile, all burned in about fifteen minutes.

I don't know if they still do it that way. Next time I'm in the area I'll ask.

I know they still use burn barrels, most farms have a blower to supply air and the drums glow red and emit no visible smoke.

We never had garbage service and I can promise that anything worth recycling was recycled. Not in the eco good feels way, but in real practical put it to good use way.

I grew up in a rural area that had no garbage pick up. We always burned our trash for decades till garbage pick became available. We would dig a big hole and burn the trash till the hole got full. Then we would dig another hole next to the burn hole and use the dirt from the new hole to cover the old one. I used a tree spade to plant a tree right on top of one of the old burn holes and the only thing that was left was glass that will not bio degrade. Everything else was degraded to the point you couldn't tell it was even there. The tree is growing like a weed.
Even the school I went to used an incinerator to burn the trash from the school.
I bet the car you drive produces more harmful toxins then burning food grade plastic.

You have to consider when they do toxic studies of a substance they use very high concentrations of the substance to speed up there results. They very seldom do long term low dose studies. The body can process many toxic substances in low doses and discharge them from the body. It's only when you overload the body's natural ability to discharge the toxin does it cause the most harm.

You have to consider when they do toxic studies of a substance they use very high concentrations of the substance to speed up there results. They very seldom do long term low dose studies.

Googled it and it is not safe. The very items you suggest as 'safe' are labeled as unsafe.

"The burning of polystyrene polymers - such as foam cups, meat trays, egg containers, yogurt and deli containers - releases styrene. Styrene gas can readily be absorbed through the skin and lungs. At high levels styrene vapor can damage the eyes and mucous membranes. Long term exposure to styrene can affect the central nervous system, causing headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression. Not only these people who are burning the trash are exposed to these pollutants, but also their neighbours, children and families.

https://www.wecf.eu/cms/download/2004-2005/homeburning_plastics.pdf

Googled it and it is not safe. The very items you suggest as 'safe' are labeled as unsafe.

"The burning of polystyrene polymers - such as foam cups, meat trays, egg containers, yogurt and deli containers - releases styrene. Styrene gas can readily be absorbed through the skin and lungs. At high levels styrene vapor can damage the eyes and mucous membranes. Long term exposure to styrene can affect the central nervous system, causing headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression. Not only these people who are burning the trash are exposed to these pollutants, but also their neighbours, children and families.

https://www.wecf.eu/cms/download/2004-2005/homeburning_plastics.pdf

In large dose's yes any substance, even water can cause harm. Once it reaches a low parts per million the effects are very low.

You got some evidence?

What chemicals and doses are you talking about?

All of them. Anything you put in your body has to be processed. We are chemical processing organisms. We take in nutrients and our body's ether presses it or passes it through.

Thank you for posting the article. Food grade plastics do not contain PVC's or sulfur.
PET/PETE is not a PVC based plastic and do not cause dioxins to be released when burned.
But these lazy hacks can't spend 5 min looking it up even though I gave them a hint.
It took me all of a few min looking it up.
Polystyrene is an organic based polymer but does contain benzene but no PVS's or sulfur.
Burning it releases benzene but not dioxins witch is more toxic then PET/PETE.
I read that article before. Guess you failed to read where I said that. AND once again in no place does it say they were designed to be burned as you claim.

I read that article before. Guess you failed to read where I said that. AND once again in no place does it say they were designed to be burned as you claim.
Look at more then one article, you have to look at many and you have to ask the rite question. Now as always not all will agree. By not adding PVC and sulfur when burned it does not release dioxins and sulfur.
You just haven found why it's designed to do that, your not looking hard enough.

I know used used dryer sheets burn quick, hot and clean. What are they made of? Can't be paper or they would disintegrate in the dryer just like all the other papers I forget to take out of my pockets at the end of the day. Are they plastic? I dunno and really too lazy to research it or even care.

I know used used dryer sheets burn quick, hot and clean. What are they made of? Can't be paper or they would disintegrate in the dryer just like all the other papers I forget to take out of my pockets at the end of the day. Are they plastic? I dunno and really too lazy to research it or even care.
They are probably cloth, not paper.

Back