Burning REALLY WET wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marley5

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an OWB and am one of those that's very particular about burning seasoned wood but UNFORTUNATELY.......I now have to burn dripping wet wood .

My building only holds about 5 cords a long with splitter and 4wheeler.

I have in the woods about 6 cords stacked but due to all the rain, it's all extremely wet.

It killed me to bring a wagon of of this unacceptable wood to the boiler.
Told my wife this evening I want to move to Arizona. Lol

I have an OWB and am one of those that's very particular about burning seasoned wood but UNFORTUNATELY.......I now have to burn dripping wet wood .

I have in the woods about 6 cords stacked but due to all the rain, it's all extremely wet.

Wet or unseasoned ?

All oak......year old but soaked from torrential rains.....sucks

If it is season for years but not rotten and your stove is already nice and warm it will dry that moisture right out of the wood nicely And burn just fine. Just may take a bit longer to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but I'm still pissed about rain every other day.
Called about another building this afternoon.

First year In 40 that i burned sizzling wood......making me drunk this evening. Lol

My wood is always a bit wet. It stays outside. Burns fine. As long as it is “seasoned” and not rotten..... a warm bed of coals will take care of it. As much as I would love to build a shelter that would hold 10+ cords of wood I cannot see spending the money for it. Mother nature takes care of me.

25a691841984546a4e9b0faa921d58f5.jpg

I guess all im trying to say is.....
c9f79fb8bc269cee199b549b21f6f361.jpg

You will be ok[emoji23][emoji23]

I can stack up to one full cord on my carport. That's at least 2 weeks worth of wood in my stove during the harshest cold we get around here. Plenty of time for the exterior wetness to dry. But with all the rain we have been getting even my four wheel drive tractor can't get to the wood stack I have in a field on top of a hill.

I have all mine stacked out side in a big pile - I fill up 4 boxes that hold 1/2 cord each and put them in an equipment shed. Then take one box at a time to the burner. I cover mine with a metal frame I welded up and some roof tin if its going to rain. If its not raining I take the roof thing off the box to let me air and sun hit it. When the box is empty I swap it out for a full one and fill the empty from the pile and stick it in the shed in rotation.

Mines not "seasoned" as much as I would like and this flipping rain is killing us all in the mid-atlantic. It is what it is this year I'm afraid

seasoned for years but stored damp will dry fast. I put a cord of old **** from the bottom of my wood pile in my basement next to the wood stove with a fan blowing on it 24/7. It went from 40% to 20% in two weeks then 20% to 8% in two weeks. The first couple days the water coming out of it was condensing on windows n kicking on my dehumidifier. burning damp wood like that makes a better smoke machine than a heater. good to have some dry wood set aside.

seasoned for years but stored damp will dry fast. I put a cord of old **** from the bottom of my wood pile in my basement next to the wood stove with a fan blowing on it 24/7. It went from 40% to 20% in two weeks then 20% to 8% in two weeks. The first couple days the water coming out of it was condensing on windows n kicking on my dehumidifier. burning damp wood like that makes a better smoke machine than a heater. good to have some dry wood set aside.
Make sure you split a piece and check the moisture in the middle of a fresh split. The numbers you reported are not achievable unless you are incorrectly using your moisture meter and measuring the outer most layer of wood or on the end grain. You split open 1 year seasoned wood that is room temperature and measure the fresh surface in the middle and it will be around 20% internally.

Sounds like you need to rotate your wet uncovered wood into your dry storage area more often. You’re going to lose Btu’s burning it wet, even if it’s seasoned.

I went threw this a couple years ago myself. I hope you haven't burned all your dry wood so you have some to blend with the wet. I burned a lot more wood in my Garn during that period than normal. I takes a fair amount of BTU's to get that wet wood burned. This year all 15 cord is under a roof in trailers.

Back