Burning REALLY WET wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand how a lot of guys bring the wood in the house for days let alone hours.

It might be due to the fact my wood is all kept right next to my Woods Line but as soon as the wood starts to slightly warm up from being inside bug start appearing.

And don’t want to bring bugs in my house if I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t understand how a lot of guys bring the wood in the house for days let alone hours.

It might be due to the fact my wood is all kept right next to my Woods Line but as soon as the wood starts to slightly warm up from being inside bug start appearing.

And don’t want to bring bugs in my house if I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep..wood comes in my house it’s going right in the burner, I’ve went and got splits out of the rack in the middle of winter with temps below 0° and watched the cockroach’s scatter...no thanks!

I’ve also watched these “wet wood” threads over the years and it’s always funny how they transform from “seasoned wood that got rained on” to moisture content posts and people talking like wood reverts back to an unseasoned state if it gets rained on...it don’t.

Yep..wood comes in my house it’s going right in the burner, I’ve went and got splits out of the rack in the middle of winter with temps below 0° and watched the cockroach’s scatter...no thanks!

I’ve also watched these “wet wood” threads over the years and it’s always funny how they transform from “seasoned wood that got rained on” to moisture content posts and people talking like wood reverts back to an unseasoned state if it gets rained on...it don’t.

It must not rain in Cincinnati like it does on the West Slope of The Cascades.

Around here, wood left in the weather doesn't revert to an unseasoned state, that would be burnable, wood left in the weather turns to junk, and I see piles of once good wood in yards of people who either didn't know better or care

Doug :cheers:

They do look like a cockroach but don't get as large......woodroach that is.

In the comfort of your home, they can multiply and actually grow wings.
I learned this many years ago and never brought another stick of wood inside.
OWB now so no worries .

I bring in a weeks worth nearly every time. Bugs will literally stay in the pile as if I never even moved it, toss it in the stove and then they start to move.

My grandpa has said that he gets one type of bug that likes to mosey around as soon as he brings in the wood.

No way I'm running around for a few sticks of wood multiple times a day.

wet wood will burn, green wood won't

green will burn if the fire is hot enough.

I worked with a guy who had a wood furnace in an old farmhouse, he'd cut down live trees and toss them in. He also had well casing pipe as his flue. He said the neighbors would get nervous when a flame shot out the chimney but then again....he was also the fire chief.

Back