Burning wood stove in the warm weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hay guys i got a bran new Avalon Olympic free standing wood stove and just started the brake in fire yesterday it was warm outside but the stove was drafting good my problem is when i damper the stove down to choke the air i don't see the fire choking like it did in the store. could it be because the warm weather and the chimney is feeding the stove with air.

i can slide the damper in and out and i don't see a change. in the fire's flame

thank you
Jason

Last edited:
Maybe your seeing the secondary combustion. It would look like a large fire.

I'm starting my second season with a Soapstone stove. When I first had it I watched it like a hawk until I realized that it wasn't an exact science. Now It usually does what it is supposed to, and does act differently this time of year. I'm sure after a few weeks of this you'll be more comfortable.

I have a Avalon Rainier wood stove insert. I had the same problem. I would pull the lever all the way out to slow the burn rate down and it would still burn pretty fast. I ended up putting a flu damper in the exhaust pipe (for lack of proper wording!). Now it works awesome.

N1h1

Did you try the damper when it was warm outside or where you doing it when it was cold. they say with Avalon stoves they don't damper all the way off you have to remove the screw that stops the damper

thanks
Jason

I had the problem all the time no matter what the temperature was. I talked to my dealer about it and he said there was something I could put down by the lever. It looked like a little "L" shaped bracket. Like I said mine is an insert that go's in the fire place. I have a 30 foot stainless steel chimney liner that is sealed to the stove and also sealed to the top of the chimney. I wasn't going to take it all a part unless I absolutely had to. Putting the damper in was pretty easy. I just removed the fire bricks in the top of the stove and drilled a hole through both sides of the pipe and it went together real easy. It works great now! HERE is my insert.

I might have some hot coals after nine hours if I'm lucky. As far as a fire lasting nine hours................not even close!

Latest posts

Back