Burnt Wood Smell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sallybeetle62

Reaction score
Should there be a burnt wood smell in the basement after using a wood burning stove? I am thinking about reinstalling a wood burning stove in the same basement area (but, remodeled for safe materials, clearances, and chimney). What I remember from using the previous stove (about three times total) was the burnt wood smell pervading the basement. Is this normal?

After a few few days of it you cant smell it anymore [emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

We don't have it often, but when we do it is mostly from poor procedures on our part. But when it does happen, it reminds me of the decades old stoves heating old farm houses and shanties- desirable to some degree. Some neighbors must have some smoke dragons because we can go outside and catch the smell of campsite-like fires - very nice. Our stove rarely produces the campfire/woodstove smell outdoors. But, a faint smell of smoke has its place and too much smoke is like too much skunk. We prefer a faint skunk smell from a bottle of imported Heineken beer.

Should there be a burnt wood smell in the basement after using a wood burning stove? I am thinking about reinstalling a wood burning stove in the same basement area (but, remodeled for safe materials, clearances, and chimney). What I remember from using the previous stove (about three times total) was the burnt wood smell pervading the basement. Is this normal?

Thank you to all who replied. Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated. I enjoy a good camp fire wood smell. I smell this often in the winter in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, the burnt smell that would come out of my stove was not pleasantly aromatic. It was that sharp, crisp, irritating burnt wood smell from the cold, burnt wood remains. Maybe it was the particular tree type, mishandling the fire amount, or bad damper allowing down drafts.

Thank you to all who replied. Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated. I enjoy a good camp fire wood smell. I smell this often in the winter in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, the burnt smell that would come out of my stove was not pleasantly aromatic. It was that sharp, crisp, irritating burnt wood smell from the cold, burnt wood remains. Maybe it was the particular tree type, mishandling the fire amount, or bad damper allowing down drafts.
If you have cold remains in the stove it can be more noticeable on damp,humid,rainy days. Make sure your chimney is clean as this can produce that smell in the summer. Clean the stove out and close all the dampers and draft controls for the summer.

Back