Business Adivce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterwood609

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Anyone here from New Jersey? I have a small part time business and im wondering if some people could help me out with some info. Im wondering what people pay for insurance if they have a bucket truck. My work load is growing rapidly and a bucket would increase production a lot. Also wondering if its even worth getting a bucket right now or invest in a larger chipper. Right now i just have a altec dc610 6” chipper. I bought a brand new sc362 grinder becuase i was tired of buying used units and having problems with them. There is much more i would like to know but im just trying to start with this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I mostly do removals. Trimming is quite difficult climbing especially doing round overs and what not. Ive had my business for about 3 years. I have my LTCO and carry liability insurance. A lot of jobs ive been getting recently would be way easier with a bucket since a could just hammer over hangs and what not. I would have no problem doing them manually it would just take way longer.

"Roundovers"? Is that code for topping?

As to your question, another!
Where is your biggest bottleneck? Access and getting the tree down or disposal of debris? You might get it on the ground in a heartbeat, but not be able to process it. Do you have a place to dump brush and logs? Might be good to do the bucket and try to only feed the real wirey stuff through a small chipper. But if everything needs chipped, a bigger machine there may be the way to go before a bucket truck?

I have a place to dump wood and my chips. Its not so much an issue with getting rid of the stuff but its more of getting the tree down quicker and more efficient. The little 6” chipper does just fine for what i need it to do at the moment. When I get jobs the have overhang over a house, fence, shed things like is when a bucket would come in handy so i assume. I have rented lifts before when needed to handle very bad over hangs with no tie in points or rigging points. I just feel like a bucket will increase production a lot.

Good question, The guys I work for(burlington county, 1 crew) say they pay 50,000 for everything. Big Log truck, chip truck 25,999lb, bucket 4wd international, 1 ton pick up, workers comp, liability insurance and I think that's all.

Thanks for the info! Im just a part time business on the weekends. I work for big orange doing line clearance during the week. 50k is just about my annual income from my company! Im curious as to what they pay for just the bucket. NJ is expensive for everything ha.

I'm not sure who they use, I can't remember what the insurance card says. I'm in the same boat as you. I make 25 an hour w/ my current company and a 40 an hour offer from our competition. My current gig is w/ long time friends that treat me good but only let me run the show 1-2 days a week. Offer is to run a crew w/ a brand new 65' bucket truck, climb and a new bandit/little vermeer loader.
Or start my own company (already a 50/50 partner in a pool service business)and deal w/ all the estimates, phone calls, call outs, equipment... Tough call on what to do, but I can't picture myself telling my current friends/boss's I quit. When pool season is over I make a call and I can start full time the next day w/ my current tree boss.

I'm not sure who they use, I can't remember what the insurance card says. I'm in the same boat as you. I make 25 an hour w/ my current company and a 40 an hour offer from our competition. My current gig is w/ long time friends that treat me good but only let me run the show 1-2 days a week. Offer is to run a crew w/ a brand new 65' bucket truck, climb and a new bandit/little vermeer loader.
Or start my own company (already a 50/50 partner in a pool service business)and deal w/ all the estimates, phone calls, call outs, equipment... Tough call on what to do, but I can't picture myself telling my current friends/boss's I quit. When pool season is over I make a call and I can start full time the next day w/ my current tree boss.

I wouldn't go into business if I could make those wages.

When I've had guys working for me there's been plenty of times when I've made less than them.

The headaches, stress, worry, long hours, etc... yeah...

I wouldn't go into business if I could make those wages. When I've had guys working for me there's been plenty of times when I've made less than them. The headaches, stress, worry, long hours, etc... yeah...

I would say WOW pretty much Chop Chop has surmised the whole deal. I am not saying wow because I am surprised , but because there is no way around this reality as it is very hard to profit more than a laboring person. So many times those working for me have done so much better than I that it really made me notice. As a result I have looked at different formulas to profit more with less labor. One thing that has gotten my attention has been the fact that prices fluctuate so much in this area. As an example when it gets near freezing with a foot or more of snow people go around and deliver a quarter cord for $200 or $300 telling customers what ever they want to hear. As a result I aim more to have plenty of wood on hand but am willing to wait until pricing is in my favor. Thanks

..... As an example when it gets near freezing with a foot or more of snow people go around and deliver a quarter cord for $200 or $300 telling customers what ever they want to hear. As a result I aim more to have plenty of wood on hand but am willing to wait until pricing is in my favor. Thanks
First day of Economics 101: The Invisible Hand.

Supply and Demand.

Back