Butchered tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadtree

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope to gain insight from all you experts.
Unfortunately, it was decided by someone in my household (not me!) that the only mature tree on our property needed to be "trimmed" due to a recent storm that broke a branch. This was decided for fear that the branch would fall on the neighbors house & cause damage.
The aftermath is terrible (see attached pictures). The fault is not on the part of the workers as they were told to cut the top due to the paranoia that cutting the problematic branch was simply not enough for fear that it would happen again (this is the 1st time it has ever happened in over 20+ years of owning the house...logic= nonexistent!)

I am pissed about the chop job to this poor tree! As stated it was the only tree on our property, in Arizona nonetheless (trees are valuable in this hellish landscape where today it will be a mind-boggling 107 F).
After the fact, I did some research to try to determine how bad it & if it will cause long lasting damage. I came across the phase "tree topping" and it seems this is the absolute worst thing that can be done to a tree. Is the tree a goner? I read that it actually weakens the tree and, ironically, will make it susceptible to coming down w/ another storm.
My main questions- is the tree doomed? Should I have it completely removed? If it will regrow its top branches/ leaves, how long may it take? (I do not know what kind of tree it is. Willow? I included a couple close ups of the leaves in case it makes it easier to identify the tree).

Any answers/ insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200604_124347.jpg
    20200604_124347.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200604_124408.jpg
    20200604_124408.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 20200604_124427_HDR.jpg
    20200604_124427_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200604_124555.jpg
    20200604_124555.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Yes, tree was butchered. It may be a Desert WIllow. I have concerns with trees that big being that close to houses but if healthy and maintained, they are less likely to be a problem. Some trees tolerate extreme pruning better than others. That tree may sprout many suckers near the wounds - which can be weak attachment points and may present aa problem in the future.

Found this - did it ever flower? https://www.google.com/search?q=des...XuAE&bih=719&biw=1520&safe=active&hl=en&hl=en

If it lives you're going to have a monster in a few years. It will be bigger and bushier than ever. Not as likely to be blown over in the next few years though. If it's a dry summer it might not recover. The tree service was evidently doing what they were told to do. What grows back will be weak and susceptible to rot and weak unions so it will need attention in a few years.

Have a look at this video by a decent arborist and it explains many of the issues.
It might help.

Thanks for the responses!
Is there anything I can do to promote the health/regeneration of the tree? Watering? (We have never watered it as it was just 'there' as an established tree when we bought the house). Perhaps I am hoping for too much & need to except the fact that the tree will most likely decline?

I would think you just need to keep an eye on it, at this stage the damage has been done and there's nothing you can do to repair that.
I must say that the job that was done on that tree is exceptionally bad, from bark peel to step cuts that haven't been tidied up its a real horror show.
You will know for next time to try and get a proper arborist to get the best out of the tree.

Its one thing to have a poor prescription. Obviously, the 'decision maker' in your house knew what they wanted. However, a professional tree service will not do that if it is a wrong practice. When im quoting jobs, I'll bluntly say, "we dont top". We can reduce a top with proper technique, but not cut a tree in half.
It is a different issue if the tree guy cannot even do the job properly. Those cuts are horrendous, peeled bark, step cuts, heading cuts not cut to a lateral and the tree is out of balance.
I would recommend you get a professiinal quality tree service in to fix up the poor cuts and develop a future maintenance plan, because the cost you are going to occur in future maintenance will far exceed any damage that may have been caused to your neighbours house.
Paranoia is based on ignorance, and the tree service played off that paranoia and gave you a hack job. Oh, by the way, i was doing a paving job in your neighborhood and have some material left over in the truck...

Latest posts

Back