• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Buy local?! Forget about it! Never again!

kadevohn

kadevohn

I've made a good reputation so far as a landscaper and tree trimmer (im 26). always been more interested in the tree trimming than dirt work. (saws > shovels anyday) not new to tree work but im a newbie to climbing and i made the mistake of going to my local commercial outdoor equipment store to buy climbing line. Long story short, needed to get up in the tree and get a job done safely so i go buy some climbing line- the cheapest of the two options in the store. it was 150' of 1/2" Arbor-plex... I payed about $155 after tax. after getting better at my techniques i look online for some other options and needless to say i got a bit nauseated when i look up what i had purchased from the local store on amazon and the same exact rope, length, diamether, etc was only $80.... What a rip off! I am looking and realizing i could have gotten some seriously nice lightweight double braid or something for what i paid for plastic stiff dockline. rant over.

Training Wheels

Training Wheels

Sometimes nothing can beat a real cool hand
I've made a good reputation so far as a landscaper and tree trimmer (im 26). always been more interested in the tree trimming than dirt work. (saws > shovels anyday) not new to tree work but im a newbie to climbing and i made the mistake of going to my local commercial outdoor equipment store to buy climbing line. Long story short, needed to get up in the tree and get a job done safely so i go buy some climbing line- the cheapest of the two options in the store. it was 150' of 1/2" Arbor-plex... I payed about $155 after tax. after getting better at my techniques i look online for some other options and needless to say i got a bit nauseated when i look up what i had purchased from the local store on amazon and the same exact rope, length, diamether, etc was only $80.... What a rip off! I am looking and realizing i could have gotten some seriously nice lightweight double braid or something for what i paid for plastic stiff dockline. rant over.
Kadevohn Welcome,

Is that your normal dealer? Do they take good care of you normally? I always ask myself this when I make a purchase at our dealer (small landscape co here also that loves minor tree work). 70 dollars over Amazon is tough pill to swallow but they may have a belt or bushing you need in a bind and that makes a difference. Based on this, there's a shop I'd gladly pay 70.00 duckets over Amazon and one that I'd just wait it out do the job the following weekend.

Lastly,I also always add O/N shipping to the mix it evens out the cost of the item (as you're getting it right away)

~TW

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
I never assume a local store or dealer will have the best pricing. Prior to buying something, I spend a little time and research what a good price might be. I make a point of doing that.

I've never had a local dealer take good care of me. Maybe that's cause I don't expect them to. For me, the bottom line is the bottom line. 99 times out of 100, I end up getting the best price that's available.