Buy local?! Forget about it! Never again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadevohn

Reaction score
I've made a good reputation so far as a landscaper and tree trimmer (im 26). always been more interested in the tree trimming than dirt work. (saws > shovels anyday) not new to tree work but im a newbie to climbing and i made the mistake of going to my local commercial outdoor equipment store to buy climbing line. Long story short, needed to get up in the tree and get a job done safely so i go buy some climbing line- the cheapest of the two options in the store. it was 150' of 1/2" Arbor-plex... I payed about $155 after tax. after getting better at my techniques i look online for some other options and needless to say i got a bit nauseated when i look up what i had purchased from the local store on amazon and the same exact rope, length, diamether, etc was only $80.... What a rip off! I am looking and realizing i could have gotten some seriously nice lightweight double braid or something for what i paid for plastic stiff dockline. rant over.

I've made a good reputation so far as a landscaper and tree trimmer (im 26). always been more interested in the tree trimming than dirt work. (saws > shovels anyday) not new to tree work but im a newbie to climbing and i made the mistake of going to my local commercial outdoor equipment store to buy climbing line. Long story short, needed to get up in the tree and get a job done safely so i go buy some climbing line- the cheapest of the two options in the store. it was 150' of 1/2" Arbor-plex... I payed about $155 after tax. after getting better at my techniques i look online for some other options and needless to say i got a bit nauseated when i look up what i had purchased from the local store on amazon and the same exact rope, length, diamether, etc was only $80.... What a rip off! I am looking and realizing i could have gotten some seriously nice lightweight double braid or something for what i paid for plastic stiff dockline. rant over.

Kadevohn Welcome,

Is that your normal dealer? Do they take good care of you normally? I always ask myself this when I make a purchase at our dealer (small landscape co here also that loves minor tree work). 70 dollars over Amazon is tough pill to swallow but they may have a belt or bushing you need in a bind and that makes a difference. Based on this, there's a shop I'd gladly pay 70.00 duckets over Amazon and one that I'd just wait it out do the job the following weekend.

Lastly,I also always add O/N shipping to the mix it evens out the cost of the item (as you're getting it right away)

~TW

I never assume a local store or dealer will have the best pricing. Prior to buying something, I spend a little time and research what a good price might be. I make a point of doing that.

I've never had a local dealer take good care of me. Maybe that's cause I don't expect them to. For me, the bottom line is the bottom line. 99 times out of 100, I end up getting the best price that's available.

Latest posts

Back