buy or build???? splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
046 said:
that cone shaped stickler splitter using your car jacked up looks really dangerous!

if your clothing should ever snag... hate to think how badly you would get hurt!

Yep, then the problem of wear and tear on the differential. Can't use them on a limited slip or similar differentials etc. I saw one that was mounted on a cart with it's own motor. Never saw one running but I certainly would never consider using one.

Harry K

My dad bought one years ago, called the "screw" from Mother earth news. Scariest f:censored: ing thing I have ever run!!!!!!!!! I always had to run the clutch (DO NOT USE ONE ON AN AUTOMATIC CAR, IT WILL KILL YOU!!!!) and wonderd if I could get it shut down soon enough not to kill him! Not to count all the times the truck took off when a chunk of hedge grabed halfway on, real rough ride! If you feel the need to scare you're family to death or loose an appendage, go for it, otherwise STAY AWAY!
Andy

046 said:
that cone shaped stickler splitter using your car jacked up looks really dangerous!

if your clothing should ever snag... hate to think how badly you would get hurt!

You reminded me that in his video on that site, he reached in the semi-split wood and pulled it apart by hand a few times. I had only thought of his hand getting caught:blob5: and wondered where that "shut off safety switch" was that he says is supplied in the kit.

I'd be just as worried about a notty oak or something moving the truck like sawinredneck mentioned.

It sure is a nice idea if the safety issue could be fixed.

The Unicorn made years ago hooked up to a tractor and used a bar instead of the ground for resistance. A local farmer just sold one for $50. That's what got me started on the screw idea. I think I'll just go back to kicking myself for not buying that $650 used splitter.:cry:

How much is your time worth? Not only in construction/fabricating but also in waiting to get the homebuilt splitter done. It took me about a year from when I started collecting parts and ideas for it to get done. It will split anything from 12"-36", it had to. I help all the family cut wood and father in-law has a monster of a furnace and cuts all wood 3 foot. I wish I had only built it to take 20" at the most because now we get to throw around chunks of red oak that are two feet across and three feet long. :censored: If I had it to do all over again I'd buy the best one I could afford that suits your needs and start splitting right now.

just my .02

Sticklers are deadly

Years ago when I was young there was a man killed with a screw type splitter on a tractor pto. IT may not split you but it will impale you.

Back