Buy or lease torch tanks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not a big user but I have been looking at getting a oxy/acetylene torch for the garage. Sounds like the very small carry torches have way too small capacity and refills are very high for the small tanks compared to the larger 80 cubic foot O2 cylinders.

Options:

1. Buy for $650 80CF O2 and C3 acetylene kit, includes Smith torches, regulators and hose. Includes a cart and own the tanks.

2. Airgas wants $450 out the door with Smith torches, regulators and hose and includes a 5 year lease. Tanks are full. Lease is $210/5 years for both tanks. Does not have cart, but they are $50. Never have to worry about re-certifying tanks.

Owning would take 10 years to break even, don't know how much work I'll be doing then.:innocent:

I looked at buying used tanks but this is an iffy proposition as getting them filled can be difficult. A lot of the used tanks on Craigslist are unreturned rental tanks and they will not fill them.

What say Ye?

I buy used tanks all the time auctions, yard sales , flee markets . Cl if the price is good .if someone leases a tank and sells it they are responsible to pay for the tank so it’s not a good idea to sell a lease on the sellers side . That said the doo all the time . I’ve picked up tanks for 25-50$ and can take them to the local gas place and they will outrite by the tanks from me for 2 times that . They are worth more in date . 25-35 $ to get them resertified . So if you do by some keep that in mind . Throw the guy on the dock a 10$ spot and ask for a tank that has a lot of time left on the test date . Try to get the xx after the date those can be overfilled . Tc supply will also exchange tanks at some locations . I have at least 5 torch sets and probably 20-25 extra tanks around . I’m sure I don’t have more than 500$ invested . That’s said Airgas sucks . Expensive and poor service at every location I’ve ever been will only deal with there own tanks and you can’t buy the large tanks , lease only . I see torch sets all the time for 150-200 used .

air gas - ugh, they bought out my last two suppliers and each time they tried to bill me rental fees on tanks i have owned for 20 + years. Back in the day you could buy any size tank you wanted. the trend now is to only rent the large tanks, and being picky about what tanks they will fill - not counting certification times. Its all about revenue sources period. Same bull with the propane companies.

I buy used tanks all the time auctions, yard sales , flee markets . Cl if the price is good .if someone leases a tank and sells it they are responsible to pay for the tank so it’s not a good idea to sell a lease on the sellers side . That said the doo all the time . I’ve picked up tanks for 25-50$ and can take them to the local gas place and they will outrite by the tanks from me for 2 times that . They are worth more in date . 25-35 $ to get them resertified . So if you do by some keep that in mind . Throw the guy on the dock a 10$ spot and ask for a tank that has a lot of time left on the test date . Try to get the xx after the date those can be overfilled . Tc supply will also exchange tanks at some locations . I have at least 5 torch sets and probably 20-25 extra tanks around . I’m sure I don’t have more than 500$ invested . That’s said Airgas sucks . Expensive and poor service at every location I’ve ever been will only deal with there own tanks and you can’t buy the large tanks , lease only . I see torch sets all the time for 150-200 used .

Last week I was about to buy a used CL torch kit with "owned tanks". On the fill collar one was stamped "Airgas and the other Matheson". The guy promised they were owned and he had them filled at Air gas in Milwaukee all the time. The local Airgas folks were great and said they would switch ownership over to me without problem if I could give them the name of the acct. that was used in Milwaukee. When I called the guy back he then was unable to provide a account holder name that the tanks were filled under. I did not buy these and had I, they could not have been filled.

People get upset with Airgas for not filling tanks like listed above. But the tanks in question are the PROPERTY OF AIRGAS. They have the right to confiscate them. That is not unreasonable.

air gas - ugh, they bought out my last two suppliers and each time they tried to bill me rental fees on tanks i have owned for 20 + years. Back in the day you could buy any size tank you wanted. the trend now is to only rent the large tanks, and being picky about what tanks they will fill - not counting certification times. Its all about revenue sources period. Same bull with the propane companies.

Airgas said they would fill tanks, it's just that they can't be unreturned lease tanks. I do not feel that is unreasonable. Stamped tanks are the property of the company on the collar. Granted some of these have gone out of business and they complicates matters.

If they are leased tanks it’s the person that leased them to pay for them if not returned . There are way to may companies and tanks . You can get any name from most supliers . Air gas is strict their tanks only . Also never have I dropped off “my tanks “ and had that exact tank filled . They give you a exchange and there is no track of serial numbers of what tank is where . I had a tank at one point that had that natzi swatsticas on it . I’ve heard there where a lot of these brought back from the war . Some tanks are old ass hell .. that all said I’ve never heard of a tank being confiscated . I won’t go to airgas anyhow to find out . They are very spendy like 50%more than everyone else . Never have the proper size bottle filled for exchange and not open on saturdays , piss poor stock of welding supplies . Learned my lesson years ago when I bought a tank and 2 months later they wanted me to pay a fee to certify a out of date bottle I just purchased . If I wasn’t belessed with skinny arms I would have been able to throw the bottle at them !!! That’s when I learned the store with the nice store front and pretty sighn in the primo location has to pay for all that somehow . I now take my business to a place where the store is off the beaten path , no big pretty building or sighn and the service is fantastic . If I go in and ask for something they normally stock and are out they are super apologetic and the guy at the desk will drop them off at my place on his way home from work when they come in . And I’m far from a big account . I just diddle around in my shop . May spent 5 k in 5 years and 2500 of that was a new welder .. I love local not franchise businesses

I am pretty sure there are several leasing options in your area: even here every supplier of industrial gases offers several lease options on gas tanks depending on your needs. Small workshop using oxy a lot, small workshop using oxy occasional, large firm etc. Having quotes mailed in can help you get better deal as well.

Personally I will never, ever buy tanks again: I have two empty ones I need to dispose of as they cannot be recertified (and hence refilled) anymore and nobody wants to take them, not as scrap metal, not as "special waste". For me it's lease all the way from here on: when the lease is up you just return them and be done with it. Let them deal with certification and disposal.

I am pretty sure there are several leasing options in your area: even here every supplier of industrial gases offers several lease options on gas tanks depending on your needs. Small workshop using oxy a lot, small workshop using oxy occasional, large firm etc. Having quotes mailed in can help you get better deal as well.

Personally I will never, ever buy tanks again: I have two empty ones I need to dispose of as they cannot be recertified (and hence refilled) anymore and nobody wants to take them, not as scrap metal, not as "special waste". For me it's lease all the way from here on: when the lease is up you just return them and be done with it. Let them deal with certification and disposal.
What is wrong with the tanks that they can’t be retested ? Also we have a few scrap places that take old propane and torch tanks and the sort . Its only a couple bucks but they take them . Only time I had trouble with tanks not able to retest was they sat in dirt for 30 some years and They where pretty pitted . If they are rusty they are probably toast

What is wrong with the tanks that they can’t be retested ? Also we have a few scrap places that take old propane and torch tanks and the sort . Its only a couple bucks but they take them . Only time I had trouble with tanks not able to retest was they sat in dirt for 30 some years and They where pretty pitted . If they are rusty they are probably toast

What's different? EU legislation my dear. :laugh:

If you want to use single flame acetylene welding heads really one should have an assortment of them. The starter kits most likely have only a couple. I think Smith uses a mixer and tip for each size which is better but more costly than say Harris that uses one mixer for a range of size tips.

As you most likely know you are only supposed to use 1/7 the capacity of the acetylene tank in an hour or draw out at that rate. I buy 40 cubic foot size acetylene tanks not sure the code for that size and lease the biggest oxygen cylinder I can get. My situation is most likely different than yours. I get propane compatible hoses and use propane or natural gas for some things. Acetylene is great stuff. Airgas is to be avoided if possible at least around here, they bought out a lot of the competition. They add haz mat fees to just about everything and do not include those fees in any quotes.

The Harris automatic torches are great in my opinion, at least convenient.

Not a big user but I have been looking at getting a oxy/acetylene torch for the garage. Sounds like the very small carry torches have way too small capacity and refills are very high for the small tanks compared to the larger 80 cubic foot O2 cylinders.

Options:

1. Buy for $650 80CF O2 and C3 acetylene kit, includes Smith torches, regulators and hose. Includes a cart and own the tanks.

2. Airgas wants $450 out the door with Smith torches, regulators and hose and includes a 5 year lease. Tanks are full. Lease is $210/5 years for both tanks. Does not have cart, but they are $50. Never have to worry about re-certifying tanks.

Owning would take 10 years to break even, don't know how much work I'll be doing then.:innocent:

I looked at buying used tanks but this is an iffy proposition as getting them filled can be difficult. A lot of the used tanks on Craigslist are unreturned rental tanks and they will not fill them.

What say Ye?
I'll throw this out. I use propane as fuel gas with a BBQ tank as fuel supply. Cheap alternative to buying another expensive tank. Torch tips for LP gas are reasonable cost and regular is same. Works for me.

Lp is a waste of time/money!---Do as I did, buy the big tanks and own them! when empty take them in for EXCHANGE and ya got current cert. tanks!
I would never consider renting tanks!
Here in this area Prax-air is the supplier and yes they sell ANY size tanks you want!--Your area/brand may differ. thanks; sonny580

Some years ago, I was helping a friend do some salvage cutting.
He brought me some grill tanks (of propane).
We were only handling mild steel, mostly hot rolled stuff.
I was mostly cutting stuff around 1/4 or less thick.
Some occasional flanges or mounts would be up to 3/4.
Most stuff still had a faded coat of paint or fairly light rust.

Using the propane of course has lower BTUs and flame temp.
What I did was just run the flame a hair on the oxidizing side. Maybe a tiny bit more so If I was in the heavier stock.

This Will erode the tip faster.
So you'll have to do your math to decide if the shorter tip life is worth it.
Since The fuel was free, it was an acceptable trade off.

For lighter gauge cutting, sheet 1/8 and under, the propane aint too bad.

I never tried any welding with propane, so I can't tell you what it's worth for that task.
Hopefully Someone with the knowledge of it will speak out.
As I cant tell you if it has any significant affect on the weld quality.
edit: I should say that you would set for a neutral flame when welding.
The oxidizing flame was acceptable for cutting scrap.

The Praxair in Marietta Ohio has a limit to what you can buy, I think it is somewhere around 150 cubic feet (standard cubic feet means at 40 psi if I recall) after that need lease. There must be a lot of leeway in this stuff as they are a much better deal than Airgas around where I show my location.

Whether propane is more economic is questionable, You will use more oxygen, maybe a lot. It could possibly only be really "cheaper" if you use liquid oxygen. Propane or natural gas do get away from the 1/7 which may be 1/10 rule of acetylene. Only Harris has alternate fuel designed single flame tips that I am aware of. they also have dedicated mixers/injectors for the largest class of handle. And they are the little screw on ones not the longer curved ones. Acetylene is good stuff, much easier to light and much better in the wind. One needs the carbon monoxide shielding of acetylene to weld steel.

If the flame temp is lower temperature chances are you are actually going to end up using more btu per time unit and more time to get going.

Franny k. thanks for the answers.
I've been away from the hands on part of things, for too long now.
It's getting harder to recall some finer points and then get them into written words.

I think I was half wondering if the propane had any combustion byproducts that would be detrimental to the weld zone.
Something along the lines of, does the "odorant" (sulpher still?) contaminate
the weld, to a degree that matters?

Yeah, the lower heat production means we spend longer time dumping heat into the work piece.
we may find that the work piece sinks/absorbs/dissipates heat a bit too fast for the propane.
Would need more clamping to hold parts in place while you get the weld done.
Added stress from the, extra, expansion and then post weld cooling
wont be good for things.
More warping or parts just not fitting afterwards.

"Heat & beat, to fit" should stay an old joke, not become a work method due to a -missperceived, mistaken- cost reduction.

The bi products should be about the same for propane and acetylene,they both are just carbon and hydrogen. The inner cone uses the oxygen from the hose,the outer cone the oxygen from the atmosphere. Natural gas I think can have all sorts of other things besides methane. The odor added to propane isn't mentioned in literature I have read. For steel the acetylene seems to use up all the oxygen from the hose with carbon monoxide as the bi product at the inner cone. Welding steel with gas use acetylene. I think aluminum can be gas welded with propane, same flux.

Generally steel welding is better arc or something besides gas. I find gas welding steel useful for tacking exposed corners as essentially nothing need touch the set up.

Aluminum gas welding if you can do it is generally more malleable than arc. Also you do the cleaning after welding. Seeing what you are doing and set up and welding are not easy. There are folks that can make it look easy.

my little anecdote for aluminum and gas welds:
I worked in an electric motor repair shop for awhile.
We mainly delt with re-baring the rotors.
A sales rep brought in a stick arc rod (flux coated of course) that also would work for gas torch welding.
You could grab a rosebud tip and about three rods at once
then do a lap weld.

We were pulling a bar out of a laminated stack rotor
about 4 ft long.
The bar was about 3/8 thick at the top and prob 1/4 at the bottom, roughly 4" tall and bout 4' long.
These rotors were typically subjected to a fair bit of heat during motor failure and the bars were pretty bad to hang in the laminations, when being pulled or driven out.

We would drive the bar out a few inches, with a large hammer and scrap of old bar, then we welded a slide hammer to the exposed end of the bar.
Hammer slide weighed about ten lb, on about 5' rod.
The hammer pad had a slab of alum bolted to it and we then welded the slab to a rotor bar and commenced to yanking.

The coated, stick rod was what we used to weld the hammer to the rotor bars.
We overlapped 3~4" and grabed 2~3 rods & rosebud and proceded to run a bead around 3 sides fillet joint where the hammer pad was wider then the bar under pull.

As you can imagine, we put a damned good shock load on these welds!
As long as you kept a, truly, clean wire brush for the prep work
and payed a little attention to your procedure, the weld was pretty simple to get reliable results from.

During the pulling efforts, the weld might break or the hammer might snap. We clobbered every component in the process. stretched the hammer rod till snap, you name it.
But the general durability of the weld impressed me.

Edit: I guess that how well the rods worked, are why I still recall a few details of the job.
That and the funny shaped fingernail I still have, from an errant hammer swing while pounding the bars.

Back