Buy the 562xp or the 365? Christmas bonus burning a hole in my pocket!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonesforbrains

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m new to the site and I have question. I like the Husqy brand, do I get the 562xp or the 365, both are with a 20” bar. The price is the same at my local dealer that is 7 miles away. I have looked at the Stihl saws very closely too, but The Husqy dealer is closer and a good bunch. I am going to fell and CS mill some 8 to 10 red cedar and 10 to 16 inch red and white oaks with an occasional 8 to 12 in red elm. I have several smaller saws I use for firewood, but I do not want to roast them milling. I have read for weeks on this site and others about bigger saws are best when milling. I am very glad that I have found this site, y’all have so much information that is available to the novice. My budget is limited to tops $800. It’s jewlery season, I mean the “holiday season” and whatever I spend on my own “gift” is going to be expected to be tripled, or more, in jewelry for the wife. It’s just a fact of life around my house.

I think maybe I have been reading way to much on this subject and I have clouded my own judgement. Just a bit of advice or direction may help me feel better about pulling the trigger on my purchase. Any advice or comments are appreciated in advance.

Lynn

Go with the 365 if you plan to do light duty milling. It has more low end grunt. The 562 is the better forestry saw, tree trunk to tree top processing. More highly strung. I’ve freehand ripped small white pine slabs easily with my ported 562, but that’s a heavily modified saw. Heavy duty milling is definitely 90cc territory. But for what your going to do the 365 should be ok and it is also a good firewood saw.

Most of the oak trees I have are not very large in diameter 10” to 16 “ and the few that are in the 24” to 36” I don’t want to cut. I want to start off milling the red cedar to wet my beak so to speak and then move up to the oak and elm after I get my wood shed sided with the cedar. I just don’t want to get in a rush to mill and cook the small firewood saws I have. I cut and split 2 to 3 cords of wood every year for the elderly couple up the hill from me and it wouldn’t do any of us any good for me to kill my current small saws playing around milling!

Thanks Huskyboy

I’ve never used a 365 so I can’t comment on those. But I love my 562. It’s nimble, light and powerful. I see one local and new for $700. Plus husky has either a$50 or $75 rebate. I guess you can’t go wrong either way.

from an ergonomics point of view, the 562 is a slimmer and nicer size for felling small trees. In my hands I much prefer the 562xp over the bulkier 365. That said, I haven't ran a 365 and I hear they can easily be tuned into a 372 with a little mod. Nice!

Most of all, I don't do any milling so the above comments on the lower end grunt of the 365 may be important.

I’ve never used a 365 so I can’t comment on those. But I love my 562. It’s nimble, light and powerful. I see one local and new for $700. Plus husky has either a$50 or $75 rebate. I guess you can’t go wrong either way.
That price is $60 cheaper than my local dealer, granted my local dealer may sell one or two 562s and 365s a year(price seems like they stick with msrp), they sell a lot of the smaller saws and 455-460’s, found that out after talking to some customers who get their saws worked on.
Thanks for the input

That price is $60 cheaper than my local dealer, granted my local dealer may sell one or two 562s and 365s a year(price seems like they stick with msrp), they sell a lot of the smaller saws and 455-460’s, found that out after talking to some customers who get their saws worked on.
Thanks for the input
Don’t forget the rebate

i Believe @dsell has a brand new jonsered saw that is the equivalent to the husky 365. For sale. The transfers have been opened up, so it’s basically a 372. It’s at the top of my wishlist! Outstanding price. I would at least inquire about it.

from an ergonomics point of view, the 562 is a slimmer and nicer size for felling small trees. In my hands I much prefer the 562xp over the bulkier 365. That said, I haven't ran a 365 and I hear they can easily be tuned into a 372 with a little mod. Nice!

Most of all, I don't do any milling so the above comments on the lower end grunt of the 365 may be important.
I don’t know anything about modding a saw other than what I have read here, I gas, oil, sharpen chains on my saws till they quit. I have no small engine knowledge but I have been trying to learn by reading here. I have run brush saws on survey crews for years and we always bought throw away saws for cutting miles of brush. I have a couple small homeowner saws that have served me well with maintenance. I want to start milling and don’t want to ruin what saws I have,so after reading here I’m wanting a pro saw or close to it.

Milling a 16" log is harder on a 60cc saw than running a 24" bar on it cutting firewood. The 365 will have alot more low end grunt and will mill much better.
Does the wood you are milling matter, pine versus oak? I thought at first a 365 would be better because of it being a 70cc as opposed to the 562 at 60cc. Does the 365 have more pulling umph, for lack of a better term, in the milling than the 562? I guess I’m thinking of a four wheel drive in low gear when you say low end grunt. I’m just trying to understand, so I spend my money on a good saw for what I want to do.

Milling requires a saw to perform under heavy strain for extended periods of time. Neither a 562 or a 365 is a good choice. Both are high rpm saws intended for felling and bucking.

Get the 562 for firewood work. It is an outstanding saw with excellent handling.

For milling get a used saw in the 90cc range.

My "guess" would be the 365 is better for milling. Others here have answered from experience that the 365 is a better milling saw. If you'll be doing more milling than felling, then 365 sounds like a better solution.

Go to your dealer and throw them both around and if the weight of the 365 feels ok to you for felling, and you now have the suggestion that it has better low end grunt than the more ergonomic 562xp, then that may be your answer.

OR as others are saying, get an even larger saw dedicated for milling.

One thing that hasn't been stated is that the 562 is an auto-tune saw. The 365 has a conventional carb. With a regular carb you can set the carb a bit richer with will help on those long milling cut. There is no way to do that on an auto-tune saw that I know of.

Milling requires a saw to perform under heavy strain for extended periods of time. Neither a 562 or a 365 is a good choice. Both are high rpm saws intended for felling and bucking.

Get the 562 for firewood work. It is an outstanding saw with excellent handling.

For milling get a used saw in the 90cc range.
What he said. +1

Latest posts

Back