ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Buying a used ram 2500 cummins.....opinions?

PasoRoblesJimmy

PasoRoblesJimmy

Rocket Scientist
Telemetry Group, Range Commanders Council, JCS
The battery on my 2002 GMC pickup was dead this morning such that the electric door locks wouldn't even unlock. The battery in it is less than a year old, so I connected it to a battery charger and seems to be taking a charge.

Since a dead battery has never happened on this truck before, I disconnected the B+ wire from the alternator and connected an ammeter between the B+ wire and the B+ terminal on the alternator and measured a current draw of 0.04 milliamps. I'm thinking that the current draw at the B+ post should be zero.

Do you guys think that I could have a defective alternator where the internal diodes are bad????

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
The battery on my 2002 GMC pickup was dead this morning such that the electric door locks wouldn't even unlock. The battery in it is less than a year old, so I connected it to a battery charger and seems to be taking a charge.

Since a dead battery has never happened on this truck before, I disconnected the B+ wire from the alternator and connected an ammeter between the B+ wire and the B+ terminal on the alternator and measured a current draw of 0.04 milliamps. I'm thinking that the current draw at the B+ post should be zero.

Do you guys think that I could have a defective alternator where the internal diodes are bad????
That aint much draw. This is charged or discharged battery this reading? Tell me how many volts its pulling fully charged and make sure the computer is asleep when testing too.

PasoRoblesJimmy

PasoRoblesJimmy

Rocket Scientist
That aint much draw. This is charged or discharged battery this reading? Tell me how many volts its pulling fully charged and make sure the computer is asleep when testing too.
The battery took a full charge. My charger is now on trickle. Will have to see if it holds a charge.

Have 139K on my truck with original alternator still on it. I didn't think that 0.04 ma was enough to drain the battery.

Thinking that I could have a bad 6 month old battery. Will have to drive my truck into town to the battery shop for a battery test under load. Batteries can crap out at any time.

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
The battery took a full charge. My charger is now on trickle. Will have to see if it holds a charge.

Have 139K on my truck with original alternator still on it. I didn't think that 0.04 ma was enough to drain the battery.

Thinking that I could have a bad 6 month old battery. Will have to drive my truck into town to the battery shop for a battery test. Batteries can crap out at any time.
Tell me many volts are draining out , mine shows 12 I know that is way high.!Have you tested your alternator output and any loose connections?

bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
www.google.ca
I have had two dodge diesels a 89 and 98.5
89 only did some small front end work and the getrag trans.
98.5,, only had to replace the rear end, transfer case, and engine (cracked block common problem),, and a couple of lift pumps and the front end components, it has 270,000 kilomters on it.
Been good for a year now,,,

Guys with the eletrical drain,, are the 4ways hard wired,,I had a truck that had the 4 ways unfused,,, caused some issues.
And good luck with that.
BBB

PasoRoblesJimmy

PasoRoblesJimmy

Rocket Scientist
Tell me many volts are draining out , mine shows 12 I know that is way high.!Have you tested your alternator output and any loose connections?
Alternator output is 14.5 volts. Still need to check the battery under load and how well the battery holds a charge over time.

PasoRoblesJimmy

PasoRoblesJimmy

Rocket Scientist
Alternator output is 14.5 volts. Still need to check the battery under load and how well the battery holds a charge over time.
The test at the battery shop showed nothing wrong with my battery and that its CCA were fully up to specs. After I got home, I pulled the plug off of my trailer electric brake controller because it is only needed when I am towing a trailer.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Website
Visit site
I have had two dodge diesels a 89 and 98.5
89 only did some small front end work and the getrag trans.
98.5,, only had to replace the rear end, transfer case, and engine (cracked block common problem),, and a couple of lift pumps and the front end components, it has 270,000 kilomters on it.
Been good for a year now,,,
I assume you say "only" sarcastically? That's damned near your entire drivetrain!

bigbadbob

bigbadbob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
www.google.ca
Dodges are notorious for having bad ground connections that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.
I spent 20 years digital swithching/data, good grounds are the utmost of importance,,,,bad ones cause mega issues hard to find!!
I also like dielelctric grease,,,
BBB

PasoRoblesJimmy

PasoRoblesJimmy

Rocket Scientist
I spent 20 years digital swithching/data, good grounds are the utmost of importance,,,,bad ones cause mega issues hard to find!!
I also like dielelctric grease,,,
BBB
The battery ground lead on my daughter's 1996 Dodge Caravan was a ridiculously small gauge of wire that was much smaller then the battery positive lead. Removed and replaced both battery leads on that POS with much bigger wire.

Have a tube of No Al-Ox next to my computer. Use it on everything. Flat braid grounds are great for getting rid of RFI. The hood and front fenders of my GMC pickup are grounded with it.

bullseye13

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
You cannot go wrong with the drivetrain, i know a lot of folks that drive the hell out of them and some beat the snot out of em and they keep on ticking. I also know a lot of folks that more and more of their truck falls off every time they shut their doors from rust. Fantastic drivetrain yes, but they still cannot paint a vehicle or keep the interior from faling apart like a recycled milk jug that baked in the sun every day of its life. If your going for long term dont expect it to stay nice, but if it does, awesome.

I dont want to turn this into a chevy/ford/dodge either, but if i could have the best of all the worlds i'd take the dodge drivetrain and another manufacturer body/interior.

Stovepipe

Stovepipe

Tool enthusiast
This would be my first diesel and my end goal is to have it last for a long time.

So my lease is up in May (3.5L ecoboost F-150) and I have a customer that will be selling his 2011 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins. It is the exact truck that I want but the miles that are on it might be a little hard than I wanted. He is a steel supplier for us and he uses it to haul his steel trailer. Regularly there is not huge amounts of weight on it but he does frequently pull 15,000 LBS with it when delivering bigger loads. He always buys a new truck( always a ram 2500 cummins) and sells it when it gets around 120,000 miles on it.

I have not talked to him about price yet but what im seeing around here a truck like that in "good" to "very good" condition is around $22,500 - $24,000.

I am trying to stay under $30,000 to get my payments were I want them. If I could get that truck for that price(22-24,000) and If I happen to have to rebuild the transmission and new injectors soon after I would think the truck would still be a good deal.... I would think....

What do you think about the truck, and does my plan sound....sound?

My end goal is to drive this truck for as long as possible 10 - 15 years would be great and i know a cummins will do it no problem if it is taken care of. Please no Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge arguments.

thank you for the advice
Just my piece on my experiences.
-own my '98 -24 valve since '99 -92k on the odometer.
-filters / fluids changed were documented (&changed on-time)
-Frequently hauling 10,000lbs
-constantly carrying 1,300lbs in the bed
Automatic trans/no chip.

I would buy it again!! Now 220,000 miles
Couple sets of brakes. FUEL. oil filters changes are my expenses

Cerainly could put a small performance chip in with out issue. 300 hp /600 lbs was Cummins request for the factory drivetrain. Dodge said 225 hp /425 lb.

The 6.7 and eg add-ons werewas due to the emmisions /epa'07 mandate. Orherwise the 5.9 is likely still around. Ford/chevy needed to redevelop as well(chevy-was a newer design already). When well maintained all run a long time.

But... The I6's will remain my choice for all the advertised reasons. (Looking for a no rust '03-'10 with maintenance records and 150k on the dial)
Searching for those "known trucks" are the challege, Not owning them