buying my first chipper, Bandit 75xp? or vemeer bc700xl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvcook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had a lawn & tree service for 22 years. I do very little tree removals, mainly pruning. My pruning season is from January through march, some on Saturdays during the summer. the rest of the year is mowing, so I've decided this year I'm going to get a chipper & have narrowed it down to these two since here in west TX there's not very large trees. I would like to buy new although I'm not against getting a used one. I would like to spend between 15-20K. What do you recommend?

I've had a lawn & tree service for 22 years. I do very little tree removals, mainly pruning. My pruning season is from January through march, some on Saturdays during the summer. the rest of the year is mowing, so I've decided this year I'm going to get a chipper & have narrowed it down to these two since here in west TX there's not very large trees. I would like to buy new although I'm not against getting a used one. I would like to spend between 15-20K. What do you recommend?
CVCook, The two machines are not really comparable. The BC700XL despite it's name is a 6" machine. Feed opening is 6"x8" and it usually has a 25HP engine. The Bandit 75XP has a feed opening of 8"x12" and has a 35HP engine. I can sell you a brand new Bandit 75XP very close to the price range you are looking at. Please feel free to call me. 512-269-0888 Good luck and let me know if there is any way I can help you. Sincerely Tom Brabandt

Attachments

• Flyer-75XP-web_lowres.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
You will outgrow both machines very quickly! I realize you say you only do trimming - but why limit yourself? A 6" machine is really only good on 3" stuff. And that better not have branches and crotches in it - or you will be trimming everything down to straight little sticks.

Get a good solid 12" machine - it will be good on 8" material - you will have a chipper you are not fighting and not punishing by using it to its maximum capacity constantly. And if you get a little bigger material you will be able to deal with it. There are a lot of Vermeer BC1000s out there used for good deals - just don't go get the cheapest or you will be working on it instead of with it. Or find a Bandit 150XP. These would be my 2 choices for used small 12" machines.

There are tons of used 6" machines on the market because people realize they have outgrown them almost immediately.

Let us know what you get.

^^^This ^^^

I have rented my share of 6" chippers. As a DIYer the machines were tolerable as a rental, but I would never own one. The feed rate is slow, compared to a larger machine. It was a struggle to avoid jambs.

If you decide to sell the market is limited because 6"-8" is not suitable for commercial tree work.

Previously owned a Vermeer diesel 935 which was ok but the feed opening is narrow compared to the newer models.

Purchased a 10yr. old BC1000XL for under $10K...it works as it should, chips without effort.

Latest posts

Back