CA State License Board

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodean

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever noticed that the study materials nor the Contractor test (C-61) itself even mention the word tree? I'm studying for my California Contractors test and can't believe how much I need to know about scaffolding and trenches inorder to start a legitimate tree service. Who wants a mole to do a vole's job? Isn't this a safety and industry standard kind of thing? I mean they say the rope for a Boatswains chair needs to be 5/8 manilla rope. Is manilla still used? How can you be licensed by the state to do tree work if they don't even test you on the trade to be contracted? How can we promote industry standards if the test doesn't reflect the industry. Though you need a minimum of 3 years experience in the trade to apply. Do the British and the French test their arborists on sheep milking and cheese grating? I hope not. I guess I just wish my test covered trees so I didn't have to study so much about asbestos and confined spaces.
D
:bang:

I don't know what you're complaining about! If you ever find yourself pruning an asbestos tree in a small cave you're going to need that kind of information! :mad:

Gotta love the bureaucrats in Kalifornia! :D

In Monroe County, Fl when taking the contractors test for obtaining a tree trimming license, you only take the business law portion of the test. Again, nothing at all about arboriculture, but nothing about asbestos or confined spaces.
Bodean, love that name.

yeah im in the same pickle bodean, just in oregon. the only thing about tree work was how much insurance and bond! makes no sence

Did you end up taking the D-49 contractors license exam?

I’m interested to know if it was just a test on the business law information related to contractors. Did it include anything beyond that?

Has anyone here ever noticed that the study materials nor the Contractor test (C-61) itself even mention the word tree? I'm studying for my California Contractors test and can't believe how much I need to know about scaffolding and trenches inorder to start a legitimate tree service. Who wants a mole to do a vole's job? Isn't this a safety and industry standard kind of thing? I mean they say the rope for a Boatswains chair needs to be 5/8 manilla rope. Is manilla still used? How can you be licensed by the state to do tree work if they don't even test you on the trade to be contracted? How can we promote industry standards if the test doesn't reflect the industry. Though you need a minimum of 3 years experience in the trade to apply. Do the British and the French test their arborists on sheep milking and cheese grating? I hope not. I guess I just wish my test covered trees so I didn't have to study so much about asbestos and confined spaces.
D
:bang:
a

Latest posts

Back