Cable Splicing Question:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusyBeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live on a lake and have a floating dock secured to the bank with 1/2" steel cables about 75 ft long. After 20 years, one cable has a rough spot near the winch where it bends around a 90 degree turn. Several strands are broken from rust combined with fatigue.
I've got enough unused cable on the winch to unspool and cut the rusted part out and splice the two ends together in the open.
What is the best slip-proof way to splice the cable? The splice will be on a straight section, not subject to bending.
It absolutely cannot fail, because my dock, pontoon, and bass boat will crash into the rip rap if it breaks loose.

PS: I don't mean splicing as in braiding, I'm thinking some kind of clamps.
Thanks,
BB

Only mechanical splice for 100% of rope strength is a zinc eye on each end and a shakel connecting the eyes.

Wire clamps can and will fail.

The easiest thing is a flemish eye or farmers eye secured with a couple wire clamps.

Its nearly as simple as just clamping but you split 3 strands off the main and create your loop by re wrapping them back around themselves... u tube search there is plenty of examples.

Hust the re wrapped eye is pretty strong the clamps mostly act as a security device pre enting the strands from un wrapping on thier own.

I just us the clamps. Works fine on dozer winches anyhow, 3/4 or 1" cable. Cable always breaks before the splice comes apart.

Reread OP after seeing ATH post.

E.G After 20 years
what ATH said, new cable, get stainless this time if you are going to live where you are another 20 years.

Someone living on a lakefront with a dock can surely afford $250 ?? You can leave the other cable in place as a safety backup with slack with just wire clips as in #2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Stainle...560208?hash=item3a90ce9290:g:QmQAAOSwuAVWxJfO

Quote: Someone living on a lakefront with a dock can surely afford $250 ?? You can leave the other cable in place as a safety backup with slack with just wire clips as in #2.

Thanks all!
I think I will to as ArtB suggested and splice this cable and keep it in place as a slack back-up. Then I'll get new SS cable and run in parallel as the primary.
Thanks again.
BB

Latest posts

Back