Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

California Can't Catch A Break.....Another Major Disaster....

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Dave Hadden, Jan 10, 2018.

1. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

Where can I find these photos or videos of Oprah, gotta see this. Been looking all over.

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Oprah mud wrestling?

I googled it and actually found an image:

[​IMG]

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. Dave Hadden

Dave Hadden Addicted to ArboristSite

Glad some of you find it humorous when others get walloped and suffer loss of life and property.

You can find many vids on YouTube with minimal effort that show some of the damage.

Here's just a couple.

Glad none of that happened to me.

Take care.

4. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

I'm not falling for that fake news unk

5. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

you forgot the Oprah video, that's the only one I was looking for.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Dave Hadden

Dave Hadden Addicted to ArboristSite

I forgot nothing.

You didn't even look at the first one I posted obviously 'cause Oprah leads it off.

Look before you leap.

Take care.

7. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

Ya I seen that, I asked about the one where she was two to three feet deep.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

It appears that you are just plain wrong, but would like to understand how you could possibly make statements as you just did. Several times overhead and the fire marshal stated that they had never seen such aggressive fire weather with unpredictable winds. It is rare that fire conditions are not in the extreme category every year, but especially Cal Fire does nothing to prepare for extreme conditions. One of the last fire projects that I worked on was the Panorama fire from 1980. Winds up to 90 MPH and several hundred homes burnt in 45 minutes where there were no fire breaks. The fire department stated that this could never happen again because shake roofs would be outlawed and the brush would be burnt off. Well a few years later just more of the same with extra BS. It looks like all around greed and stupidity. Yeah there was no planned fire breaks no effort was made to burn off the brush. Yes I am in contact with the USDA USFS and have discussed this very thing with chief personnel several times recently. The truth is no body cares about the loss of lives or property where as 1000 plus structures were destroyed. The back up plan is to let taxpayer foot the bill for the extra loss. City county state and USFS knew that the brush was way past the red flag warning and yet again no one was prepared for what happened. Of course the rain was forecast up to two weeks before it came with no prevention plan or disaster watch. Thanks

SeMoTony and TheBrushSlasher like this.
  9. unclemoustache

I find nothing humorous about this. People died, homes are destroyed, lives ruined. It's a terrible tragedy, and I wish there was something I could do to help. Indeed, if you are concerned about my apparent lack of care for others who suffer disaster, I will tell you that I recently started a Disaster Response Team and we've already helped out at 2 incidents. Throwing money at a disaster isn't my cup of tea. (Plus I have little money to throw, but I have tools, time, and strength.)

However, I also know the importance of keeping a light heart, for the cares of the world are heavy indeed, so I find humor in many situations, including myself. Very happy to be the butt of someone's joke if it gives them a moment of joy. There's a big difference between being able to laugh in the midst of calamity and lauging at those suffering calamity.

10. TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher ArboristSite Guru

The National weather service issued flash flood watchs for the Whittier and Thomas fire burn areas on the 6th. My statement was from personal experience, observing many prescribed burns and vegetation management projects then reading about them on faceidiotbook. Example 1 Comstock fuel break burn which I have pictures of. Various people watching from a road 1/2 mile away called 911 and posted on a local fb page that it had escaped even though it was well into mopup. 2 teakettle rx burn had people calling from highway 180 going to kings canyon. I have many more i could list.
    As for fire breaks one runs from west of santa ynez peak east to highway 154 then from 154 to near pine mountain club. Montecito and carpinteria have fire breaks tying into it. Theres one on the ridge running from wheeler springs all the way to the east of ojai.

SeMoTony likes this.
  11. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

cant read, either....most babys cant,,dont understand,either...stick your thin neck in the sand,,dumb ostrich...

SeMoTony likes this.
  12. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

It seems Uncle M that we do not agree on every thing, but your plan will work and some day will have a big impact on some ones life. Getting people and different government agencies to wake up is a tough job. I have experienced first hand a dozen major issues that have developed in my community. 5 major fires where as a couple of communities literally were eliminated. My neighbors 400 feet away lost their homes so I have set up my own back up fire department, but it helps to to sleep knowing that a plan has been made. Then there was the time we received 12 inches of rain in 15 hours so things can happen, When all the roadways to your house are closed because they have been washed away it makes one think a little more seriously. thanks

13. MontanaResident

MontanaResident Addicted to ArboristSite

I use to live in So.Cal, and none of this surprises me. Hot, arid, Santa Ana winds, mostly sand, over populated,,,, as bad as it is, it could be a lot worse. There are a few attractions (okay maybe a dozen), but the rest is just concentrated (x10) any-city-USA.

TheBrushSlasher, SeMoTony and 1Alpha1 like this.
  14. unclemoustache

I often this of this video when certain people show up.....

15. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    I don't care who you are, where you're from, or what you do for a living, that video is damn funny. :laugh:

16. Gologit

Gologit Completely retired...life is good.

17. Gologit

Gologit Completely retired...life is good.

Hi Oly !! A lot of people will be leaving California because of the fires and floods and mudslides.
    We're encouraging them, especially the left wingers, ethnic minorities, gays, paroled convicts, registered sex offenders and welfare recipients to move to Iowa.
    Can we have the name of your hometown please?

Have a really nice day Oly. While you still can.

RandyMac likes this.
  18. olyman

olyman Tree Freak

your still a scumbag,,like always...cant handle what is said about them??you couldnt know about sowing and reaping...

fubar2 and SeMoTony like this.