Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

California Pepper Tree roots

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by David Kehoe, Apr 29, 2018.

1. David Kehoe

David Kehoe ArboristSite Lurker

Looking for some help on figuring out if I can remove some roots from my California Pepper tree without killing the tree. The tree is about 40 feet high and these roots run from the base of the tree, go underground for a bit (about 10 feet) come to the surface for about 25 feet and then back underneath my house/fence. Any insight or advice is much appreciated. I will try to upload some photos when I get to work tomorrow.

2. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

we await the pics,
    Jeff

3. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Don't they make you sick?

4. David Kehoe

IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3834.jpg

Attached Files:

5. David Kehoe

They kind of remind me of that movie Tremors. Havent made me sick yet however.

Dahmer likes this.
  6. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

May be the Florida one I'm thinking of ! Yeah seem pretty serious rooting lol

7. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Like many other species in the family Anacardiaceae, Brazilian pepper has an aromatic sap that can cause skin reactions (similar to poison ivy burns) in some sensitive people – although the reaction is usually weaker than that induced by touch of the closely related Lithraea molleoides, known in Brazil as "wild" aroeira (aroeira brava). Conversely, Schinus terebinthifolius is commonly known as "tame" aroeira (aroeira mansa).

In a paper on triterpenes, the ingested fruits are noted to have a “paralyzing effect” on birds.[10] The narcotic and toxic effects on birds and other wildlife has also been noted by others, e.g., Bureau of Aquatic Plant Management. The AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants reports that the triterpenes found in the fruits can result in irritation of the throat, gastroenteritis, diarrhea, and vomiting[11] Like most other members of the Anacardiaceae, Brazilian pepper contains active alkenyl phenols, e.g., urushiol, cardol, which can cause contact dermatitis and inflammation in sensitive individuals.[12][13] Contact with the “sap” from a cut or bruised tree can result in rash, lesions, oozing sores, severe itching, welts, and reddening and swelling (especially of the eyes).[14]

The burning of plant matter releases many airborne irritants, so is not an effective means of control. It is said to have a "mace-like" effect upon nearby people and is highly advised against.

8. David Kehoe

Any thoughts?? Pics posted up. Thank you!

9. jefflovstrom

Well, if you don't want to remove the tree, you could root prune around your foundation,
    Jeff

10. David Kehoe

When you say root pruning, does that include removing the roots that are on the surface as well as those that are going under the house/fence?

11. jefflovstrom

No, we maintain many HOA's here and frequently have to root prune peppers near foundations, patios and sidewalks. We use a carbide impregnated chain on a chainsaw and sever the root. It's quick and clean, the chain cost a little more than regular chain but you can cut thru the ground easily.
    Jeff