California pepper tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p232

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut my pepper tree last year and left the trunk. I discovered big roots on my ground yesterday. Should I leave it in the ground or dig it out? Will it decompose or how do I make the trunk and roots decompose faster? Thanks

Are you referring to the bay laurel tree? I think I’ve heard of them being called pepper woods. If so they will constantly come back. I’ve used chemicals but they still grow back just not as quickly. Pulling the stump would keep it from coming back or maybe burning it out? Might want to wait for rainy season though.

Sorry about that. I guess I was mistaken! I would probably just drill some 1/2” holes in various spots and drop some root killer/diesel/roundup mix in there and see if that stops it from coming back.
would you leave the roots alone in the ground or dig it up?

It really depends on what it’s doing and what you want to do. Pics would help. Is it growing back? Or is it just the roots/stump you want out of the way?
I cut the tree last year because we don't want it. It was about 30 feet. The stump still there. I poured acid, bleach to kill it. It started growing leaves last month so we poured diesel on it. I just noticed now that there is 2 big root in my dirt. Should we leave it there to decompose or cut it out. Anything we can use to make it decompose faster?

Well if you’re able to you could burn it (I think that would be cheapest) but that can be a pain in the butt and you’d need a lot of wood to keep the fire hot. The quickest way to get it out would be to grind it but if you don’t want to spend the money you could dig it out. Although depending on size you would probably need an excavator to do that. What I’ve done with oaks in my area (which grow back like crazy) is dig around it as best I can and then cut the roots away from the stump then yank the stump out with a mini excavator. It can be a pain but that would do the trick.

Hello neighbor I moved to sd 4 years ago. No other option to kill this tree?

This is you best option, we have done hundreds, the roots can sprout also and be a nightmare. If you don't want to chase the roots with a grinder, you can use a carbide impregnated chain and cut the roots , this also has worked well for us. If your tree was 30' tall, the roots could be up to 45' under ground, basically one and a half times the height of the tree. I do not solicit here but I do know a lot a guys that could take care of this for you, or you could rent a grinder and do it yourself but if you have never used one, you may want to get someone who has. BTW,, your tree is a Schinus molle, you are lucky it was not a Brazilian pepper! Those are terrible!
Jeff

Back