Can a piston be fixed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I just got a little used Husky 35, non running, couldn't get it to run, I pulled the cylinder off, it looks ok, but the piston is scored and the ring is stuck. Now I don't want to sink allot of $$$ into this old saw. Can a piston be fixed at all, can it be polished maybe and the ring freed up?

Thanks

Will

Honestly i would invest that little extra and get a new one. It may be possible depending on extent of damage. Just a "hint". Pics would certainly help here.

I have filed a few pistons before, but its a real $hit way of doing things... only done in times of desperation until the new piston arrives.

upon closer look, this piston is toast, needs a new one. Anybody know who sells them?

attachment.php

Last edited:
If you did not want to put a lot of money into the saw, buy aftermarket parts. At least its a new part.

upon closer look, this piston is toast, needs a new one. Anybody know who sells them?

attachment.php

GO BUY A NEW ONE!! That one is absolutely toast. When its that much damage to the skirt or above the top ring its toast. Schroll up on the AR home page and look for Baileys. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would worry more

About what went through there? I can not tell which side of the piston that is.. But obviously looking at it.. something got into the cylinder.If I was you I would try to unstick the ring and polish the piston and throw it back in and runn it a while.
How does the jug look? is it toasted? scratched?

There may be an aftermarket but not likely

Measure the diameter of the piston and I will check and see.

I am pretty sure I have some NOS and know I have some used

Doesn't matter......I would actually rather NOT tear down one of those to get a piston out.

I do NOT enjoy that style saw and never have.

Ok, I measured the piston. It is 36.4mm I checked Baileys on ebay, his had a complete cylinder assy. I just want something cheap at this point.

Thanks PES+ Do you have anything?

Will

I do not know if any of the sponsors sells after market parts. The sponsors are the only sellers who are allowed to be mentioned. I am not sure If you are even allowed to tell people that you could probably locate the piston on eBay as aftermarket. I am a sponsor and I also sell through eBay. So chances are you could locate a sponsor of arboristsite selling them on eBay.

To specifically name one I could not.

Good Luck,
Scott.

I got one for a Husky 254XP from Freakinstang and it made a new saw, $30!!
If it's worth putting together, it's worth that!

I ve been looking through ebay, and found nothing. There are a couple
36mm piston kits availiable for Stihl saws though. not sure if they would work.

They won't

I need to check tomorrow and make sure if your bore is the same as Poulans version.......for some reason I don't think it is but maybe.

And I pray I have a used saw already pulled down for the reasons I already said.

Check your muffler really well for any loose pieces because it does look like something made the trip through the saw.

It happens often on those style saws.......screws - gravity - lapse in concentration.........oops:censored:

I do not know if any of the sponsors sells after market parts. The sponsors are the only sellers who are allowed to be mentioned. I am not sure If you are even allowed to tell people that you could probably locate the piston on eBay as aftermarket. I am a sponsor and I also sell through eBay. So chances are you could locate a sponsor of arboristsite selling them on eBay.

To specifically name one I could not.

Good Luck,
Scott.

This statement scares me... are we only allowed to recommend sponsors products? If so, ill call Sweden now and tell them to sponsor. Can anyone confirm?

And what about us poor internationals who dont want to ship our parts from the US............

:greenchainsaw:

Back