Can anyone specify this tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im leaning more towards hardwood now
Are those limbs from the tree in one of your pictures?
No those were just random branches/ sticks scattered everywhere I'm using them for kindling.

Come to think of it I looked up the tree that it's jointed with and it does have branches and dead curled up leaves still attatched I'll need a ladder to take pics of those leaves.

that last set of pictures is certainly oak! nothing else has rays that pronounced. probably a white oak...but maybe not.

but you are saying those are not from the same tree as the original post???
Yes im sorry the 2 logs in my second pic post are the same tree as the first pic post. I knew it had to be hardwood it was HEAVY and sturdy the first 2 bottom logs i hauled out (not posted) still had some juice in them and felt very solid. I knew it wasn't softwood cause it was a workout handling and sawing these logs i am not a weak person Lol so i am thinking now maybe red oak cause of the reddishness right under the bark when i was chopping into the tree when it was fresh it did have that reddish hue. I am excited that it is most likely oak now

Ok- so first of all whatever the tree is I am very surprised no one has made any comments on the felling tactic in first pic. Safety first! Please don’t take any offense to this I say it to potentially save your life firemaker. I think it’s a noble thing to cut down a tree with a hand saw in 21st century but please whatever your method in future stick to basic 101 safety with face cut, THEN your back cut. You can do a standard face cut, wide open birds beak face cut, Humboldt cut, all depends o. Situation but no matter what your cutting is heavier than you, face cut then back cut always in that simple order. Face cut usually about a third in but sometimes more or less depends on a lot of factors. Anyhow happy to give more advice about it but research it some before felling your next tree, this “arborist” thing is most dangerous job in world on ground or in tree. Anyways with that out of way will make desperate post replying to this specimen question

So few hardwoods have that smell you speak of. Although pines are conifers and do not lose needles in winter. Judging by the type of fungus on tree in one piece I am assuming tree is dead long time so even if it was pine needle could be gone. I think to be definite we are gonna need to see some branch structure even if they are dead however the bark to me does not look like a deciduous tree, and very few deciduous trees have the “hamster shaving” smell you describe. Hamster shavings and other animal bedding shavings are almost always pine. Regarding the comment on how hard it was to cut down that could have been simply because you were using a handsaw with full teeth and as deep into your face cut as you were going I am quite certain it ended up pinching your saw- very dangerous. Once again reiterated, face cut, back cut- that order always period. Others can verify but surely any true arborists would agree whether its 500lbs, 5k, 50k or more that is simply safest simplest way to do it and any other way including method in pic there is downright dangerous. Show us some branches and I will confirm however smell, bark, even the type of fungus growin onnit all has me leaning toward some Type of pine.

Ok- so first of all whatever the tree is I am very surprised no one has made any comments on the felling tactic in first pic. Safety first! Please don’t take any offense to this I say it to potentially save your life firemaker. I think it’s a noble thing to cut down a tree with a hand saw in 21st century but please whatever your method in future stick to basic 101 safety with face cut, THEN your back cut. You can do a standard face cut, wide open birds beak face cut, Humboldt cut, all depends o. Situation but no matter what your cutting is heavier than you, face cut then back cut always in that simple order. Face cut usually about a third in but sometimes more or less depends on a lot of factors. Anyhow happy to give more advice about it but research it some before felling your next tree, this “arborist” thing is most dangerous job in world on ground or in tree. Anyways with that out of way will make desperate post replying to this specimen question
“SeperaTe” post typo

White oak is my guess.
Ahhh ya you know looking at the dead half of the codinant stump I want to change my guess to oak as well. Pines when Colombia the are more often so 25-50 feet up or more, this obviously had a second Half at base cut down before firemaker finishing the job. I didn’t notice that first looking at photo- all the oak guesses make more sense to me now. Post some branches pics and we can all quickly get to the bottom of this tree which one was its top...

Ahhh ya you know looking at the dead half of the codinant stump I want to change my guess to oak as well. Pines when Colombia the are more often so 25-50 feet up or more, this obviously had a second Half at base cut down before firemaker finishing the job. I didn’t notice that first looking at photo- all the oak guesses make more sense to me now. Post some branches pics and we can all quickly get to the bottom of this tree which one was its top...
“Codominant”

He posted pictures of the logs. It is White oak.

Ok I just got another tree it seems to be same type. Same smell, look, hardness, etc. I was able to snag a little branch off of it. So is this white oak or red oak??0422202159.jpg0422202158.jpg

Latest posts

Back