Can I file a power saw upside down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny37

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guy , I've seen a video of a guy filing his chain with the saw in a vise upside down. I tried it for a minute and watched a little fuel leak out. My question is, will this harm the saw in any way? Will it flood the cylinder, mess up the carberator in any way? Is there any downside to flipping your saw upside down with fuel in it, or do I need to drain the fuel first? Thanks guys

They are made to run in any direction, so no worries about holding it upside down. But WHY? Is there an advantage to it? The you sharpen a few teeth, then rotate the chain. I find it best to set the brake after moving the chain each time - more difficult to do that upside down. Not sure I can think of an advantage...

because i can file very well in one direction. as soon as is switch to the other side, i lose ability. If i can flip the saw over...i can file both sides from my position direction. I reallize i need to develope my skills for both directions, but right now, im better on one direction.

because i can file very well in one direction. as soon as is switch to the other side, i lose ability. If i can flip the saw over...i can file both sides from my position direction. I reallize i need to develope my skills for both directions, but right now, im better on one direction.
Interesting point, never thought about it that way. I'm left handed and yes, it's easier to file on the clutch side than the starter side. Other than fuel or oil leak, I can't think of any problem other than holding the saw steady. In fact, at the Paul Bunyan show this year, the Husqvarna team suggested turning the saw upside down to adjust chain tension. That way, the bar is pulled down (up) by gravity so you don't have to lift up on it while tightening the nuts. Only problem is holding the saw steady. Haven't tried that yet either.

Try standing on your head to do the other side cutters.

It will push you towards the good goal of learning to use both left and right hands to sharpen.

OK...that is a good reason! I thought you were saying file both sides upside down, but flipping it to do one side makes sense. Glad you asked!!!

I've also see the suggestion to tighten the bar upside down. I've done that in the past, but I usually just rest the tip of the bar on something to lift it while tightening the bar nuts.

Try standing on your head to do the other side cutters.

It will push you towards the good goal of learning to use both left and right hands to sharpen.
My goal is to improve in the long run. However, in the short term I want a super sharp saw. I don't see how standing in my head will help either short or long term. But thanks for the suggestion

View attachment 783040 I tried it and got filings all over my eyes and fainted before I was done.
Next time I will try getting a vise up un the tree but I juat don't think this is gonna work.
that shot carved me some new smile lines.Looks good to our friends down under!

That way, the bar is pulled down (up) by gravity so you don't have to lift up on it while tightening the nuts.
I've also see the suggestion to tighten the bar upside down. I've done that in the past, but I usually just rest the tip of the bar on something to lift it while tightening the bar nuts.

Why do you want to push it up at all.
Someone taught me that, then I figured out it was a waste of time. Now I let the bar sag, adjust the chain then tighten it up, I've never had a problem.
Am I missing something.

Guess everyone should get them lol.
I have one here, I guess if you had a bad tensioner and needed a new bar it wouldn't be a bad option, but it's not the smoothest for adjusting with their adjuster.
Had one that came with Echo cs3000. Didn't like it. Chain was too loose or too tight, not a fine enough adjustment. Replaced the bar right away and added the screw chain adjuster.

Back