Can I install a 18" bar on a MS230

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeekendLogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some advise, I just pickup a MS 230 with out a bar. The recommended bar from Stihl is 16", however I happen to have a extra brand new 18" bar PN: 3003 008 6617 from Stihl. Can I use it? I wont be cutting a 18" log with the 230, just small stuff.

Need some advise, I just pickup a MS 230 with out a bar. The recommended bar from Stihl is 16", however I happen to have a extra brand new 18" bar PN: 3003 008 6617 from Stihl. Can I use it? I wont be cutting a 18" log with the 230, just small stuff.
You certaining can install an appropriate 18" Stihl bar on the 230 , the oiler is more than adequate for the additional length of Bar . Try your new bar with chain , see if it matches up , you may get lucky , then you may not !

Glad to know that it can take the 18" Now just need to try the bar that I have. Its at the farm so will only know in a couple of days. If we are still allowed to travel by then.

Darn.. I was hopeful it would fit.. I will try to flip it at my local dealer. Thanks
I was about to suggest the tràde in of your bar @ your local dealer . If the bar is in " like new " condition often they will be switched for a similar bar that will fit your needs or given store credit . In any case good luck and happy cutting Bro !

Thanks, it is so in like new condition, It is actual still in the flat cardboard original package. I bought it in December when my MS 271 bar jammed. Turned out, I was able to clean out the sprocket. Runs like new. I was keeping it as a spare. Might as well trade it in. That way, with a second saw, my good friend has no reason not to help anymore. Even have a old pair of safety chaps for him.

No that bar won’t work on that saw. You need a 3005 mount bar.
Hey sorry I toke so long to get back but live does find ways to get in the way. Speaking of live, hope all is well for you and your loved ones. I got my hand on a 3005 000 4813. I tried to confirm the model using the Stihl Gide Bars Selector but it does not have the MS 230 on the list Only 211 or 250. So again, Help please. Is the bar I found god or not. It line up with the oil injector, think it is the right one?

All is well here, thanks. Hope all is well with you too. Yes thats the one
View attachment 814736
Thanks for the info and glad hear that all is well for you in your neck of the woods. All I need now is a chain, no problem there, and to clean the carburetor. Since I have time on my hands I will get this MS 230 running again. Till the next time I need great info. Keep well.

Back