Can I keep these Leyland Cypress trees this close to the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akom

Reaction score
I have these two Leyland Cypress trees that are over 30' tall now ... they are about 2' from the foundation, and are planted in a tiny strip of soil between the house and concrete driveway. A landscaper told me that they are a hazard to the concrete/foundation/house. They are nice though, so my questions are:
  • Can I keep these, and, if so, will topping/trimming them keep the roots in check?
  • What would be reasonable replacements? (All I can think of is an Emerald Green Thuja)
Location: Asheville, NC (Zone 7), West-facing location (partial shade, full afternoon sun).

Thanks!

1122201608a_HDR.jpg

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the vote of confidence.
I didn't want to cut them down if I could help it, as they are beautiful and are loved by birds, raccoons and opossums.

Lol, before and after pics. Looks great, now you can see the nice house.

I'm a former home inspector and we wrote up ALL vegetation planted too close to the home/building/structure. Mostly for roots possibly damaging the home and a way for pests to enter the home.
Was the root issue raised in your write up based on supposition or something more? How did you define “too close” for this purpose?

Back