ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Can I put a 24inch bar on a Poulan Pro PR5020?

Zombie saw

Zombie saw

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all,
I have the crazy idea of putting a 24inch bar on Poulan Pro PR5020 I only plan on use the saw with a 24 inch bar for limbing and cutting small stuff. I was thinking about using a skip tooth chain if I tried using a bar that long. I'm concerned that the saw would not be able to oil a bar that long. Considering this is a throwaway saw I would like to know if the bar would be interchangeable with other saws.

I'm more of just curious on if a 24inch bar would work or not. I'm more then likely going to put a 18inch bar on it vs the 20inch.

svk

A little bit of everything
24” on a stock saw is a lot to ask. With a muffler mod and skip chain it would pull, sort of.

The saw uses small husky mount so yes the bar could be used on many other saws.

Zombie saw

Zombie saw

ArboristSite Lurker
I know I'm going to be asking a lot from this little saw if I put a 24 on it. It was more about the reach in my case. I think a 18 inch would be the best all around for this saw.
I'm glad to find out it use a husky mount not some a bastard one.

Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Short, zero controversy answer:
Can you.... yes. Will it perform well... probably not. 20" is about max for a 50cc power head.

My opinion:
Put an 18", 3/8LP bar on it (with properly sized 3/8LP chain) and go rip $hit up.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
24” on a stock saw is a lot to ask. With a muffler mod and skip chain it would pull, sort of.

I have a 25" on my stock 660, pulls fine. OH, you must have meant a stock 5020? I gave my 5020 to my tax man.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite

I have a 25" on my stock 660, pulls fine. OH, you must have meant a stock 5020? I gave my 5020 to my tax man.