Can I put a 24inch bar on a Poulan Pro PR5020?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie saw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have the crazy idea of putting a 24inch bar on Poulan Pro PR5020 I only plan on use the saw with a 24 inch bar for limbing and cutting small stuff. I was thinking about using a skip tooth chain if I tried using a bar that long. I'm concerned that the saw would not be able to oil a bar that long. Considering this is a throwaway saw I would like to know if the bar would be interchangeable with other saws.

I'm more of just curious on if a 24inch bar would work or not. I'm more then likely going to put a 18inch bar on it vs the 20inch.

24” on a stock saw is a lot to ask. With a muffler mod and skip chain it would pull, sort of.

The saw uses small husky mount so yes the bar could be used on many other saws.

I know I'm going to be asking a lot from this little saw if I put a 24 on it. It was more about the reach in my case. I think a 18 inch would be the best all around for this saw.
I'm glad to find out it use a husky mount not some a bastard one.

Short, zero controversy answer:
Can you.... yes. Will it perform well... probably not. 20" is about max for a 50cc power head.

My opinion:
Put an 18", 3/8LP bar on it (with properly sized 3/8LP chain) and go rip $hit up.

24” on a stock saw is a lot to ask. With a muffler mod and skip chain it would pull, sort of.

I have a 25" on my stock 660, pulls fine. OH, you must have meant a stock 5020? I gave my 5020 to my tax man.

I have a 25" on my stock 660, pulls fine. OH, you must have meant a stock 5020? I gave my 5020 to my tax man.

Hi all,
I have the crazy idea of putting a 24inch bar on Poulan Pro PR5020 I only plan on use the saw with a 24 inch bar for limbing and cutting small stuff. I was thinking about using a skip tooth chain if I tried using a bar that long. I'm concerned that the saw would not be able to oil a bar that long. Considering this is a throwaway saw I would like to know if the bar would be interchangeable with other saws.

I'm more of just curious on if a 24inch bar would work or not. I'm more then likely going to put a 18inch bar on it vs the 20inch.
I know this is an old thread and I apologize. I have firsthand experience with this though. I have a pr5020 and have done some work with it. I have retrofitted a stihl full wrap handle to it and a stihl 28" bar and skip tooth chain and big dual felling dogs. The bar needed a bit of modification for oiling. The saw has the power to pull that chain easily. Not a real fast cutter and you can't lay on it but with a sharp chain it will handle a full 28" bar and skip tooth in the wood. Also, my pr5020 oiled way too much from the factory for the 20". Seemed like it would oil a longer bar well and it does. I didn't do any mods to the saw itself to accommodate the stihl bar mount style. If you are interested I can try to get a cutting video or at least a picture of the saw.

Go ahead and do it, the saw puts out more than enough oil to handle longer bars. Just because you have a 24" bar doesn't mean you have to have enough power to pull it with the full length buried in hardwood, you can rock the saw around the cut to reduce the amount of wood actually in contact with the chain and if you're cutting a large tree, it's nice to see the tip of the bar on the other side of the trunk. Do the muffler mod and make sure the tuning is right for maximum power and still rich enough to be safe. These would be good saws if it wasn't for the lame strato design that makes it difficult to get serious power out of them.

Latest posts

Back