Can I save this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi. This is a red maple in my mom's yard that I climbed as a boy. Now in my fifties. It has started to rot where a large limb was removed years ago. Is there anything I can do to save this tree?
f1aff75b435b0b047d3f6a1601e089b6.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That picture doesn't look immediately concerning. But that is not a good idea to diagnose from a single picture (or even a serious of pictures sometimes).

I'd get a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist to look at it. Expect to pay for that service. If you call the biggest "free estimate/cheap removals" add in the yellow pages I can already tell you what they think of it.

Notes:
*it can be very healthy in the canopy and structurally poor.
*it can be hollow and still very strong and healthy for a long time.

I would also say call an arborist. You’ll also want to determine if there’s core rot as it appears it’s almost up to your deck.

Sealing that up won’t help because there’s always moisture in the tree. I’ve seen people put cement into things like that and just shake my head.

That's kind of what I was wondering, if we should goop it up or not. Dad had someone cut that limb off probably 15 years ago and they painted something on the end. It kept well until recently and mom noticed little pieces like critters are digging into it. Could be birds, she's just about blind. I poked my finger in it today and it's soft and punky. We will call an arborist and get a pro opinion. Even if it's doomed, we will let it go a while. There is plenty of good wood there for support.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Just by looking at it I’d guess you are good unless there’s advanced core rot. But it’s not a good idea to go off of guessing from a pic so see what the arborists say. :)

Back