Can I use this 16" bar/chain combo on my Jonsered 625 II?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BONDOSPECIAL

Reaction score
Hello forum. I am a homeowner who just bought a nice running used Jonsered 625 II to have a 2nd saw to my little Jonsered CS2238. For the 625 - it looks like a correct bar and chain combo for this saw is a 16" with a 3/8 pitch chain and 60 drive links. I ordered a 3/8, 60DL, .050" bar and chain kit online but it is not going to be here in time for this weekend. I was hoping to use the saw over the weekend. Local shop has a 16" bar and chain kit that is 3/8 pitch, 0.050" gauge but 55 DL. Is the # of drive links for a given chain matched to the shape of the bar, or to the saw itself, or both? Will the 55DL chain/bar kit fit my saw? I didn't know if the distance the sprocket was from the bar mount or the sprocket diameter would affect the chain length or if it's just that the chain length has to match the bar, and some are taller or have a different nose shape than others.

Here's a few pictures

2019062811213242-IMG_2720-L.jpg

2019062811213242-IMG_2721-L.jpg

Thanks!

Sounds like the difference between a 3/8 chain and a 3/8LP chain. My 16" bar for a Stihl 036Pro takes a 60 link full 3/8 chain, my Echo CS-352 takes a 56-57 link #/8LP chain. They're very different chains.

Is the # of drive links for a given chain matched to the shape of the bar, or to the saw itself, or both?
Welcome to A.S.!

In general, the guide bar, chain, and drive sprocket work together as a set. Change one, and you may have to change the others.

Sometimes, measurements given are 'nominal' (like a '2by4' not really being 2" X 4"). So a 16-inch bar can be anywhere from 15" to 17" (measured from about the front of the saw to about the tip on the guide bar).

Sometimes, bars by different manufacturers will vary by a drive link or 2, and no matter how much you try to adjust them, a different loop may not fit.

Sometimes people replace the drive sprocket with a different size (like switching to a different sprocket on a mountain bike) requiring a longer or shorter chain.

In general, if you are using the OEM supplied stuff, you can look it up in the specs, or in guides like @Dahmer mentioned. Otherwise, you may have to try it to be sure.

As others mentioned, 3/8" low profile chain (STIHL calls 'Picco', Husqvarna calls 'mini') is really a different chain with a very similar sounding name. Very confusing. Requires a different drive sprocket and guide bar.

Philbert

Thanks all, I ordered another 16" bar that specified 60DL 3/8, .050 chain and a matching chain for it, that should be here tomorrow. That matches the configuration Oregon specifies for this saw. Can't hurt to have another bar and chain, I'm sure I will pinch a bar and ruin it before I wear one out.

Good call on the large mount, no wonder the Oregon guide didn't show some other bars that otherwise appeared to be right fitting my saw. The first bar I ordered off Ebay that won't be here in time for the weekend is going to have too narrow of a slot...at least that was a cheap bar and the chain that's coming with it will fit the correct bar.

Sounds like the difference between a 3/8 chain and a 3/8LP chain. My 16" bar for a Stihl 036Pro takes a 60 link full 3/8 chain, my Echo CS-352 takes a 56-57 link #/8LP chain. They're very different chains.

3/8lp and 3/8 will use the same # of drive links if the bar lengths are the same.

The OP 625 is going to want regular 3/8 chain. That saw will handle up to ~ 24" bar.

Latest posts

Back