Can my tree be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmjerbear

Reaction score
20210730_204225.jpg
We've been on the property for five years. The tree has been doing this each year, but it seems to be worse this year. Not many dead limbs, and they've been there from the start. Tree overhangs a pole barn. Can this be saved or is it time to cut it down?

20210801_174454.jpg

I wouldn’t be concerned about the bacterial wet wood/slime flux as much as I would be concerned about that union at the base.
Tree could use a cable and a couple through rods for support.

I'd be a bit concerned about rot down inside between the stems. If you are worried about it falling on the barn, find somebody to do a tomograph sounding to see how much decay is present in the base of the tree and go from there. Another thing to look for is black ants. If there is a noticeable presence of ants around the base of the tree chances are there is a significant cavity inside where they are nesting.

need a few more pictures showing tree structure both sides without cars and give distance perspective of tree canopy vs barn.

My 1st instinct, not ideal tree structure and potential failure indicators so need further tree investigation and explore your appetite for risk vs this trees value .

Get a bull rope laid loose into canopy its aim catch control limit dynamic of failure

20210801_174454.jpg

Thanks that helps,
The trunk union appears fused on one side so thats a good thing. However predictable failure vs barn will impact and your in Ohio so storms likely over times journey. You need to determine your own acceptable risk profile checking your home insurance see what is says is guide.

Options

Remove tree = cost & loss of trees summer shade & amenity
Leave tree as is, roll the dice.
Get in a Arborist to guide you and weight work canopy test structure cable bolt union to lower failure likelihood = cost but some reward

What’s the species? Ulmus pumila / Siberian Elm is my guess.

I think it’s possible it can be saved for a while. Maybe a static cable and some weight reduction pruning. Call an arborist or two or three and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back