Can Old Saws Still Work? A Review & Old Metal Jonsered 920 & A Husqvarna L77 "Cameo" 2019

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
To the question can they still perform work. :)

Did this a year or so ago, so a re-run for some; Old saws have become more a part of my life for better or worse. AND the question comes up from time to time "are the old saws "useful"? Or are they garbage & paper weights. Now there is a different answer with Old Saw's and Old men, I more than most "get" that. :) I've been using a Husqvarna L77 this firewood season and have cut a LOT of wood with old iron. Little did I know ( or remember ) the first time that L77 did "work" on the farm was on this job....It's now a saw on the truck as it was a "Christmas present". Did four or five video's working it already...but here was the first, AND this was also still recovering from major surgury...one of those "WTF are u thinking!" moments in retrospect.

Good vid!! Nothing wrong with older saws as long as they are red.......and occasionally orange...all these saws were way ahead of their time. If I relied on saws from this century I would not cut any wood. Looking around I don't see any saws of this century that are mine in the shop.......some right up to the edge but don't cross the 1000 year mark. As long as they do the job they were created for I'll keep right on using them........I 'spect I have enough in the fleet all completely rebuilt to last me out...big and small.....good job on the tree guys!! Fell right where you wanted.

An addendum.......many guys around here have remarked that they can tell where I'm cutting by the sound of my saws.....they can tell if I'm bucking up stove wood or dropping trees. A sound that was common through the woods a few years back is alien these daze. Nothing like the sound of a 80cc Jonsereds under load but not slowing down....even being forced.....just gets louder...It's quiet but not....

My newest saw is a 1989 Stihl 034 AVS... Does all the firewood we need and some more. I do have a number of even older backups, though...

My current work horses... STIHL 051AVE, Husky 480CD, Husky B77 (steps in when 480CD has those days in the month) all for felling and bucking bigger trees (18"+), Husky 340SG for limbing and falling, bucking smaller trees, and there is also STIHL contra for showing off every now and then.
All from 40 to 60 years old.
My latest is 6 years old Husky 545 and slowly replacing 340SG.
*not professional use

I enjoy using my Grandfather's old Homelite Super XL. It's from back in the 1970's and I enjoy running it. Not a high rpm saw, but it has gobs of torque and a very unique sound.

My newest saw at the moment is a Jonsereds 70E..... most of the work is done with my vintage Macs.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with older saws as long as they are red
Red Shindaiwa for me! I just rebuilt/overhauled/restored/made work AWESOME 3 vintage saws. A 500, a 415 and a 416. These saws are built solid, start easy and just run super. Nothing against a modern, plastic saw lol, but I like these older saws and they get the job done for me.

Red Shindaiwa for me! I just rebuilt/overhauled/restored/made work AWESOME 3 vintage saws. A 500, a 415 and a 416. These saws are built solid, start easy and just run super. Nothing against a modern, plastic saw lol, but I like these older saws and they get the job done for me.
Hello, I am working on a friend's Shindaiwa 415 which seems to be getting air in the fuel line somehow. The design of the fuel line is 3 pieces, the pickup line from the tank, a plastic joiner, and a top line running to the carb. I had this saw running great and found the tank vent leaked and had to pull the fuel line apart again to replace the tank vent. Since then it seems it runs as if the fuel line is sucking air. It will start and rev up a few times, then start to lean out and eventually stall. I've replaced all 3 pieces of this fuel line now but not at the same time. Is there any trick to assembling these fuel line pieces? Is there a sealer that should be smeared on the connector or something to prevent an air leak? Thank you.

Witam, pracuję nad Shindaiwa 415 znajomego, który wydaje się dostawać powietrze do przewodu paliwowego. Konstrukcja przewodu paliwowego to 3 sztuki, przewód pobierający ze zbiornika, plastikowy łącznik i górny przewód biegnący do gaźnika. Ta piła działała świetnie i okazało się, że odpowietrznik zbiornika jest nieszczelny i musiałem ponownie rozciągnąć przewód paliwowy, aby wymienić odpowietrznik zbiornika. Od tego czasu wydaje się, że działa tak, jakby przewód paliwowy zasysał powietrze. Uruchomi się i przyspieszy kilka razy, a następnie zacznie się wychylać i ostatecznie utknąć. Wymieniłem teraz wszystkie 3 części tego przewodu paliwowego, ale nie w tym samym czasie. Czy jest jakaś sztuczka do montażu tych elementów przewodu paliwowego? Czy jest jakiś uszczelniacz, który należy posmarować złączem lub czymś, co zapobiegnie wyciekowi powietrza? Dziękuję Ci.
Has the saw passed the crankcase leak test?

Latest posts

Back