Can these trees be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdoll

Reaction score
The first one is a 2 year old Snow Fountain Cherry - was doing well the first year, then had watering problems the second year (not enough water, then too much) - this Spring only has a few top branches alive.

The other 3 photos are a 5 year old Maple that a stag attacked on both sides (I know, I know.... we should have protected it!). Our neighbor said he'd transplant it to his back yard if we didn't want it, but I think we'd try that first if anyone thinks it can be saved.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
I'm no expert but with the Cherry, those support lines looks way too tight - are they made to stretch? Support lines should fit very loose, just enough to brace the tree in strong wind until it gets established. My though would be to remove the line, prune off the dear branches and watch.

As for the Maple, it sure is trying to compartmentalize the wound but there is already a lot of dead wood inside but it may completely cover the wound and be OK. If there are no future targets in the area, I would at least get a 2' - 3'mulch ring around both trees if possible.
IMG_3922.JPG

Back