Can this be fixed?? Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colton T

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Upon looking into my loose muffler I found that one of the mounting bosses has been broken off of the cylinder. Some previous owner tried rigging it but was a matter of time before it loosened up again.

Can cylinder be welded or do I need to acquire another one? Anybody on here comfortable enough to fix?

943b765fc380eaa3a06cbdde3571b768.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upon looking into my loose muffler I found that one of the mounting bosses has been broken off of the cylinder. Some previous owner tried rigging it but was a matter of time before it loosened up again.

Can cylinder be welded or do I need to acquire another one? Anybody on here comfortable enough to fix?

943b765fc380eaa3a06cbdde3571b768.jpg

That's a dang shame. I fear it is time for a new cylinder. An 064 is usually always worth fixing, even if it jerks your arm off while trying to start it. These saws are tough puppies.

You pay round trip or drive up to Livonia Michigan and I'll Tig weld you a new boss and then you can drill and tap it using a gasket for a hole template. It'll be sweet. I run a little welding business and have fixed many things others have turned down. Recently a friend who has a Stihl repair shop called on me to sculpt about half a dozen cooling fins onto somebody's bashed up cylinder head..turned out great.

You pay round trip or drive up to Livonia Michigan and I'll Tig weld you a new boss and then you can drill and tap it using a gasket for a hole template. It'll be sweet. I run a little welding business and have fixed many things others have turned down. Recently a friend who has a Stihl repair shop called on me to sculpt about half a dozen cooling fins onto somebody's bashed up cylinder head..turned out great.

I've seen guys like you rescue about a million dollars worth of equipment over the years. Kudos!

That's a dang shame. I fear it is time for a new cylinder. An 064 is usually always worth fixing, even if it jerks your arm off while trying to start it. These saws are tough puppies.

Agree! It’s one of my favorites. I’ve got nicer looking/newer saws but I keep grabbing this one for jobs around the house. Power to weight ratio is crazy.

Afraid that would be an expensive trip either way! I’d be happy to pull the cylinder off and mail it though. While it’s off it would be great if someone could port it too!

The perfect solution.
If it made of metal- odds are anything can be welded in some way or form- all depends how much you want to spend and who has the expertise to melt the metal together. ;)
I imagine round trip postage of just the cylinder will not break the bank.
If it were mine and someone out there made the offer- I would certainly be taking them up- mainly because I know if I tried I would melt more than needed and still not get the bit glued on that needed to be glued on! :rolleyes:

By round trip I ment pull the jug off and send it, power wash the crud off and pm me....if you lived close I'd weld it up without you needing to disassemble it. You choose the price, whatever makes it worthwhile for you to get that old classic running good again...

By round trip I ment pull the jug off and send it, power wash the crud off and pm me....if you lived close I'd weld it up without you needing to disassemble it. You choose the price, whatever makes it worthwhile for you to get that old classic running good again...

Excellent! I’ll PM you when disassembled.

Hey Colton I had a similar problem with my C-72 and I had a local member do a fantastic repair. He drilled out existing helicoils tig welded both sides and milled flat. I placed a stack muffler in place and located the holes for drill and tapping.
49e2a6a31dded80e8dbc53b586796cb7.jpg
4696f773816bb613488ffa9b048a2e80.jpg
84cd7c386fb32afb869e76cf1944d7e6.jpg
cc17c180f390a639ae4b642e966dc055.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training.

Looks fantastic! Cooling fin fix is a nice bonus.

Fixed the cooling fin too..
Very nice job. I ran a weld shop for a few years. TIG welding. One of my welders would rebuild boat props during lunch breaks and after work. We let the welders get away with a little more than we should have but they also were able to fix a lot of our equipment if it broke.

Back