Can this tree be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacon K5

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
20160605_180645.jpg 20160605_180713.jpg

This tree was planted 3 years ago. The summer after it was planted it was beat up pretty bad by Japanese beetles. Now it looks like there is a large dead portion while the rest is healthy.

Will this come back or fill in? Should I just replace it? Can anyone identify what kind this is?

Thanks

View attachment 506761 View attachment 506762

This tree was planted 3 years ago. The summer after it was planted it was beat up pretty bad by Japanese beetles. Now it looks like there is a large dead portion while the rest is healthy.

Will this come back or fill in? Should I just replace it? Can anyone identify what kind this is?

Thanks
Looks like it can. Cut out the deadwood and make sure no beetles are eating it.

I see hundreds of trees like that . The landscapers around here all do it with the mulch against the bark . It seems they all dont die , maybe its how deep it is? I know for a fact deep mulch will kill them every time.
Ask yourself how many covered root flares do you see in the woods ? The area at the base needs to dry out, if not it creates fungal issues and girdling roots. It may or may not die soon but it is a unhealthy sitchiation. Most landscapers are lawn jockies that need to leave trees alone its in the :reading:

Ask yourself how many covered root flares do you see in the woods ? The area at the base needs to dry out, if not it creates fungal issues and girdling roots. It may or may not die soon but it is a unhealthy sitchiation. Most landscapers are lawn jockies that need to leave trees alone its in the :reading:
If I remember Ill post a pic of their handy work next week when we are over there working at that Condo group.

the leaves look good n healthy, so it looks like the dieback is likely from the past years issue. I would agree with prune out the dead wood and also do an all around pruning for shape and strength.

Back