Can trees survive Lightning Strike?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, get some clearer pics but what's the guy on the ladder doing?

Is that an oak?

Seems a lot taller and less spreading than the ones usually posted here. Err, no oaks here mate, I've forgotten what they really look like.

ambrosha beetle will be loving that tree,preventive borer spray's and mulch ring like treeseer say's ,and best thing is not to let the tree stress.drought etc.

Yes they can...

Can trees survive Lightning Strike?

Very common and do survive multiple strikes...

Three Arborists working in a multiple struck iron bark (Eucalyptus sp.) yesterday (myself behind camera and two others) in pics below and linked...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=465826#post465826

The tree was condemmed by Local Council Arborist and demanded removal, I was referred to client through a number of other Arborists, climbed VTA (visual tree inspection) wrote report with accompanying photos successfully challenging Council condemnation and this is part of the recommended works underway...

Other Arborist/Climber in green is CEO of "ABCT" (Australian Bio-Active Compost Tea)

http://abct.com.au/

which has been advised for application along with an extensive remediation program...(He spent 2 years in Boston with Boston tree care)...

The work we were doing yesterday was dead wooding, remedial pruning (remedying faults in structure and form etc), crown thinning, reduction of wind sail area, weight reduction and further inspection for addendum of report and further recommendations...

You can see the dates on the attachments so some pics taken yesterdy and some from first climb and can see one of the two identical exit wounds of a strike... The report is pushing nearly twenty pages now so wont get into it needles to say its exciting stuff...

First pic shows spliting and de-laminating of the bark on a major limb facing East.
Second pic shows dead old apex of crown now nearly entirely calloused over with 15' plus of crown now well above this point.
Third pic shows one of the exit wounds from a strike.
Fourth pic shows Tree from driveway.

Last edited:
Ekka said:
Yeah, get some clearer pics but what's the guy on the ladder doing?

Is that an oak?

Seems a lot taller and less spreading than the ones usually posted here. Err, no oaks here mate, I've forgotten what they really look like.

Oh yea, BIG oak. That's Tom my tree guy getting his lines set to climb up and do some dead-wooding. (He comes and helps me with the big trees, I don't climb.) The branches that ran along the seam of the new bark were dead. Tree is still good and strong with no dry leaves...although you can see some bug holes in the close up picture. Any suggestions on how to stop them? I'm also about to star a new thread that's pretty related to this one "Can trees survive Pit Bulls?"

danielmccurdy said:
you can see some bug holes in the close up picture. Any suggestions on how to stop them?
Onyx is sometimes prescribed for woodborers. Best to get a certified applicator. I've used eucalyptus oil on my own trees and it seemed to repel insects.

With trees there's a handful of safe favourites.

Vegemite
euc oil
tea tree oil
pyrethium
garlic, silver bullet and wooden stake.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back