Can we save 4 year old apple trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkarnitz

Reaction score
Hubby sprayed our 8 apple trees with a homemade spray for tent caterpillars. However, he sprayed mid day on the hottest day of year in full sun. And instead of just spraying 1 tree infected, he sprayed them all because he thought it would deter the Japanese Beetles we've been dealing with. All 8 tress have browned leaves, possibly 50-75% of each tree. Is there something we can do now to save the trees?

If you spray the trees with water the chemicals will be diluted some. The trees have already absorbed most of the chemicals likely. The stock often is very tough, but branches are more vulnerable. The trees have been burned with probably too high of a concentration of chemicals. If they were my trees I would give them as much water as possible and hope for the best. I would try water and wait. If many of the branches die they will come back and you can always graft a few more. I like several species on each tree just for fun. Let us know how they turn out. The leaves form in the spring and are not likely going to suddenly turn green. The leaves are damaged. If enough of the leaves die the tree is less likely to survive. The reaction on the leaves create the proper balance for the tree to live. The stock is often very resilient to such attacks though. Thanks

If you spray the trees with water the chemicals will be diluted some. The trees have already absorbed most of the chemicals likely. The stock often is very tough, but branches are more vulnerable. The trees have been burned with probably too high of a concentration of chemicals. If they were my trees I would give them as much water as possible and hope for the best. I would try water and wait. If many of the branches die they will come back and you can always graft a few more. I like several species on each tree just for fun. Let us know how they turn out. The leaves form in the spring and are not likely going to suddenly turn green. The leaves are damaged. If enough of the leaves die the tree is less likely to survive. The reaction on the leaves create the proper balance for the tree to live. The stock is often very resilient to such attacks though. Thanks
Thank you!! That's what I was thinking/hoping. Fingers crossed for next year?!?!?!? It rained alot last night, but we will be hauling water the rest of the season.

Hubby sprayed our 8 apple trees with a homemade spray for tent caterpillars. However, he sprayed mid day on the hottest day of year in full sun. And instead of just spraying 1 tree infected, he sprayed them all because he thought it would deter the Japanese Beetles we've been dealing with. All 8 tress have browned leaves, possibly 50-75% of each tree. Is there something we can do now to save the trees?
What was the makeup of the homemade spray?

Latest posts

Back