Can you guys tell me a little about Chain Gauge.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what chain Gauge do you guys run and why, Does the higher the number mean that the chain is stronger? Does a lower number Cut faster?
I Have either .50 and .58 on my saws and that seems to be the Norm around here, I hear you guys talking about how people in certain areas seem to favor certain gauges.

Also if you wanted to change the gauge of you chain would you have to replace anything besides the Bar? Thanks

Chain gauge varies a lot and different manufacturers set up saws for different gauges. Stihl commonly uses .043, .050 and .063

The .043 is used on very small saws such as pole pruners, MS180, etc. The .050 gauge chain is used on saws from almost every manufacturer and can be found on shorter bars such as 16" all the way up to 36" or so. (even longer in some brands)

The .063 is used by most manufacturers but is common with Stihl even on shorter bars and the smaller .325 pitch chains. The Stihl 026/260 series is typically supplied with the .063 gauge chain.

Husky uses .058 gauge a lot but I have never seen a Stihl supplied with that gauge.

As far as which is better, my thinking is that more is stronger but not necessarily better depending on what you are doing with the saw. The gauge does not necessarily affect the kerf as there are other chain construction factors such as the thickness of the side plates.

Regarding the changing of the chain gauge on a saw, the biggest factor is the bar's groove. The nose sprocket and drive sprocket are not that sensitive to gauge. So if you have a bar with a different gauge, you can run it as long as the chain pitch is the same as the saw and nose sprocket.

Last edited:
Around here, if it is not .050" you have to order it. You can get some .063" at the half dozen Stihl dealers in the area.

If local people get stuck with a .058 bar, they will run .050" on it to keep from ordering chain.

Chain gauge varies a lot and different manufacturers set up saws for different gauges. Stihl commonly uses .043, .050, .063 and .404.

The .043 is used on very small saws such as pole pruners, MS180, etc. The .050 gauge chain is used on saws from almost every manufacturer and can be found on shorter bars such as 16" all the way up to 36" or so. (even longer in some brands)

The .063 is used by most manufacturers but is common with Stihl even on shorter bars and the smaller .325 pitch chains. The Stihl 026/260 series is typically supplied with the .063 gauge chain.

.404 chain is usually only found on larger bars with the big powerheads. For instance I have a Stihl 42" bar with the 3002 mount that uses 3/8" chain in .404 gauge.

Husky uses .058 gauge a lot but I have never seen a Stihl supplied with that gauge.

As far as which is better, my thinking is that more is stronger but not necessarily better depending on what you are doing with the saw. The gauge does not necessarily affect the kerf as there are other chain construction factors such as the thickness of the side plates.

Regarding the changing of the chain gauge on a saw, the biggest factor is the bar's groove. The nose sprocket and drive sprocket are not that sensitive to gauge. So if you have a bar with a different gauge, you can run it as long as the chain pitch is the same as the saw and nose sprocket.

Stihl don't have .058 bars but i run .058 RS and RM on my 346xp

I think FOP is pulling your leg a little, there are really only. 043, .050, .058, and .063" gauge for saws which describes the thickness of the drive links. There are some thicker gauges available for harvester chain which takes a lot more abuse. Some manufacturers tend to favor certain guage chain as noted, hard to find Stihl bars in .058 for example while Jonsered and Husqvarna frequently come with. 058. There are other regional and manufacturers preferences as well.

In general the gauge does not have a significant impact on performance or life of the wear parts for most of us.

Most sprocket nose assemblies are .063 but you must match the chain gauge to the bar not the nose. Drive sprockets will accept any gauge.

Chain pitch (distance between the rivets) is commonly 1/4", .325, 3/8 Lo Profile, 3/8", and .404. Smaller displacement saws generally work better with .325 or 3/8 LP while higher HP saws can take advantage of the bigger bites taken by 3/8" or .404 chain

MARK

I think FOP is pulling your leg a little, there are really only. 043, .050, .058, and .063" gauge for saws which describes the thickness of the drive links. There are some thicker gauges available for harvester chain which takes a lot more abuse. Some manufacturers tend to favor certain guage chain as noted, hard to find Stihl bars in .058 for example while Jonsered and Husqvarna frequently come with. 058. There are other regional and manufacturers preferences as well.

In general the gauge does not have a significant impact on performance or life of the wear parts for most of us.

Most sprocket nose assemblies are .063 but you must match the chain gauge to the bar not the nose. Drive sprockets will accept any gauge.

Chain pitch (distance between the rivets) is commonly 1/4", .325, 3/8 Lo Profile, 3/8", and .404. Smaller displacement saws generally work better with .325 or 3/8 LP while higher HP saws can take advantage of the bigger bites taken by 3/8" or .404 chain

MARK

Great post Mark... FOP erred a little when he mentioned .404 as a gauge, as its actually a pitch (like Mark said, pitch is the distance between the rivets).

I saved a LINK from fellow AS member Erick.

He did a fantastic job of explaining chain pitch, gauge and almost everything else!...

Hope Erick doesn't mind if I paste it here(Thanks Erick, great job!):

Dave, few things about a chainsaw are more confusing at first glance than chain selection. Every chain manufacturer has their own special "code" to identify their chain. In truth it's really simple once you understand what it all means and get past the manufactureeeze.

The two main things your concerned with are pitch and gauge.

Pitch is the distance between any three rivets divided by 2 :dizzy:..... The reason pitch is important to you is it tells you weather or not the chain will match your drive sprocket and bar tip sprocket (if you have one). Think of it like this, the chain on a saw is kinda like the chain on a bike, only backwards. The bike has a sprocket with teeth that fit into holes in the chain as it goes around..... a saw chain is just the opposite, it has teeth on the chain that fit into holes on the sprocket to drive the chain around the bar. If the chain is one size and the sprocket is another then it will be impossible for the chain to stay on the sprocket and you will throw chains and cause premature wear on both the chain and sprocket assembly. The reason they measure pitch as the length between any three rivets divided by two is that the spacing between two rivets on the chain isn't the same as the spacing between the next two rivets and so they average it between any three rivets to give you the chains "pitch"..... confused yet??? Don't be, all you need to know is that the pitch of the chain you are buying matches the pitch of the sprockets on your saw.

Gauge is a measurement of the thickness of the driver (that "tooth" that fits into the sprocket) on the chain. The gauge is important because it must match the gauge of your bar groove. The bar groove keeps the chain on the bar and cutting straight. If the gauge of the chain is thicker than the gauge of the bar groove the chain will be to tight and not fit into the bar groove at all... not really a mistake you can make you'll know right away it's wrong. If the chain gauge is thinner than the gauge of the bar groove the chain will be loose in the groove and let the chain rock from side to side causing the saw to "wander" in the cut and cut poorly, or not at all.

There are a few other factors when picking a chain.... cutter shape is probably the next biggest thing to consider, and is where a lot of confusion comes in...... Full chisel, simi-chisel, square chisel, chipper, round ground, square filed, round chisel....... :dizzy: :mad:
It's really not that complicated (or at least it doesn't have to be) really there are only two cutter shapes you need to worry about

Full chisel (also called square chisel by some) has a cutter that when looked at straight on (looking down the length of the bar) has a sharp corner at the top of the cutter and will look like the number 7.

Simi-chisel (also called round chisel by some, also sometimes wrongfully called "chipper chain" by some) has a cutter that when looked at straight on will have a more rounded edge and look like something between the number seven 7 and a question mark ?.

Full chisel chain is the most efficient/aggressive profile and is faster cutting than simi-chisel chain but it dulls more easily... once you blunt the "point" on the cutting edge at the corner (also called the working corner) the chain quits cutting well and it's time to sharpen. That "point is pretty easy to dull if you hit anything but clean wood with it.

Simi-chisel chain is not quite as efficient/aggressive and is a little slower cutting than full chisel chain but because of the rounded edge of the cutter there is no "point" to dull. The whole top corner radius is the "working corner" and is much harder to dull and will go longer between sharpenings.

I'm not gonna go into "chipper chain" much because it's really kinda become obsolete and you likely will never see any but it will have a very rounded cutter profile and look more like a question mark ?.

The next thing to consider (or probably not for you) is cutter sequence.... full comp, skip, or simi skip....... here we go again right :laugh:......

"Full comp" (as in full compliment of cutters) just means the regular chain you already use and has the usual number of cutters..... cutter-driver-cutter-driver-cutter-driver

"Skip chain" just means that every other cutter has been left out..... cutter-driver-driver-cutter-driver-driver-cutter-driver-driver-cutter.

Skip chain is typically used on longer bars in big wood and leaves more space between the cutters to let the chain carry the chips it makes out of the bigger logs without clogging up the cut (thats the simplified version for those who would correct me). The skip chain also has about a third less cutters and puts less strain on the power head which can help a smaller saw to pull a longer bar when necessary.

Simi-skip is just a compromise between skip and full comp and has every third cutter left out of the sequence..... cutter-driver-cutter-driver-driver-cutter-driver-cutter-driver-driver-cutter-driver-cutter-driver-driver.

And thats all there is to it.... clear as mud right?? :laugh:

Anyway it's really not as complicated as it seems. Like I said you really don't need to worry about skip chain yet, all you have to know is your pitch and gauge and then decide if you want full chisel or simi-chisel chain. Hope I didn't cornfuse you too much. :cheers:

Last edited:
I run mostly .058 Stihl and Oregon chain, but .050 on one saw. No difference in how they perform. The one big dealer here stocks both and a lot of .058.

What I see aound here is .50 and .058 I think I have .043 on my Pole Saw. SO what do you guys tend to run? and why does it seem that different areas tend to run different gauge.

What I see aound here is .50 and .058 I think I have .043 on my Pole Saw. SO what do you guys tend to run? and why does it seem that different areas tend to run different gauge.

It doesn't matter. If you have .050 bar, run .050 chain. Same with .058...

MARK

I modified my original post to delete the reference to .404 chain. That was a complete brain fart on my end where I was confusing gauge and pitch. Sounded good though, eh?

I was not intentionally pulling anyone's leg, just totally screwed up thinking while writing that. Sorry for any actions taken by those seeking out the 404 gauge chain. lol

I tried to find an 18" bar in 3/8" .058 gauge in a Stihl 3003 mount and was unable to find that from ANY bar manufacturer. I subsequently came across one in a mount that will fit my Jonsered 2172 so I can use up my cache of chains with that saw.

Just received a 100' roll of Oregon 72LGX. It hasn't even been carried out to the shop yet. That'll keep me going for a few years... It'll fit many of my saws.

Great post Mark... FOP erred a little when he mentioned .404 as a gauge, as its actually a pitch (like Mark said, pitch is the distance between the rivets).

I saved a LINK from fellow AS member Erick.

He did a fantastic job of explaining chain pitch, gauge and almost everything else!...

Hope Erick doesn't mind if I paste it here(Thanks Erick, great job!):
Thank you! Good info.!

Chain gauge varies a lot and different manufacturers set up saws for different gauges. Stihl commonly uses .043, .050 and .063

That's exactly what I needed to know! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back