Can you identify this Husky saw from the cylinder exhaust port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be a 120/240. They are notorious for overheating and case warpage.

10BDA3C3-D216-4875-B7E9-92A1FF66E839.png

Is this a saw you already own or are you looking at buying it?

I was thinking that it was a 240 as well, but really don't know Husky saws as well as Stihl products.
Thank you everyone for your input.
Is this your saw or one that you are looking at buying?

These saws show up frequently for cheap after they have overheating issues. I am curious to see where the warping happens on these firsthand to know if they could be repaired with some sealant or not.

I'd go out a limb and say it's a 120 MKI, for no other reason Husqvarna sold them by the container.

Most are bought, used once for an hour or two, laid up and when restarted after a couple of years the oxygenated fuel left inside has pretty much destroyed the whole fuel system.
But those which have been run a lot are prone to overheating and most people run them with dull chains maing things even worse as they rev them desperately to make up for it.

There's now a 120 MKII out which is supposed to have solved the overheating issues, but I am yet to see one around.

I'd go out a limb and say it's a 120 MKI, for no other reason Husqvarna sold them by the container.

There's now a 120 MKII out which is supposed to have solved the overheating issues, but I am yet to see one around.
Husqvarna makes no sense in their homeowner small saw space....

The 235/240 saws were a bust but they sold them for several years. They still have the 240 on their website. Then then introduced the 120 Mk1 which is the same saw as the 240. Now the 120 Mk2 which is still an identical saw with supposedly improved cooling.

They have the 130 mk1/135 mk2 family which are a totally different saw and a well built one at that

Then there is the 135 mk1 which is a third totally different design.

Why not crash the 120/240 family if there are already two other models out there to backfill?

Husqvarna makes no sense in their homeowner small saw space....

The 235/240 saws were a bust but they sold them for several years. They still have the 240 on their website. Then then introduced the 120 Mk1 which is the same saw as the 240. Now the 120 Mk2 which is still an identical saw with supposedly improved cooling.

They have the 130 mk1/135 mk2 family which are a totally different saw and a well built one at that

Then there is the 135 mk1 which is a third totally different design.

Why not crash the 120/240 family if there are already two other models out there to backfill?

I think the 120/240 is mostly kept around for the European market, in the specific big box stores and the like: the 120MkII belongs to the "€199 including taxes" segment which also includes the Stihl MS170 and the Echo CS310.
Amazon has started selling the 120MkII lately and we all know how important it is to have the bottom price there, even if it means selling a flawed design like the original 120/240. By contrast the 135MkII is about €300 including taxes. As it always happens better quality means a higher price tag.

Finally another consideration: as I said I don't know how many 120 owners will manage to overheat it. They simply don't use theirs long enough. The most common cause of death on these saws is storing them fueled up and ready to go for months if not years.

Back