Can you mill a large trunk vertically while still rooted (pic)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edrrt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a large trunk that I would like to try to slab. Short of getting a crane I think it would be pretty difficult to drop.

Is it feasible to cut slabs virtually and pull them of piece by piece? If you could make the right guide it seems like gravity would do the work.

Ideas how to tackle this?

20210404_193150.jpg

Gravity also helps you keep constant slab thickness when milling horizontally. I think milling vertical would be hard to be consistent unless some one holds the mill against the tree while you run the saw. But I’m not sure. Maybe someone here has tried. Or maybe you could be the first.

I have a large trunk that I would like to try to slab. Short of getting a crane I think it would be pretty difficult to drop.

Is it feasible to cut slabs virtually and pull them of piece by piece? If you could make the right guide it seems like gravity would do the work.
OTOH you have to work out a way of repeatedly lifting a heavy power head and mill above your head and holding it steady all the way down.
Its a lot harder than you think to hold the mill up against the log as gravity will want to drop the powerhead side faster.
The at the end of the cut you have to lift the slab out to get the mill out.
If you want gravity to help, slope the log on the ground - if the chain is "in tune" very little slope is needed and it can cut by itself.
Bobsnew-millingstyle.jpg

I think it would be easier to drop than mill vertically. What specifically concerns you about dropping it?
It's on an embanment over a driveway. It seems likely unless roped it will roll downhill and damage the driveway. It's so heavy trying to keep it as one large piece. It must weigh 15k pounds.

I have a similar barrel I was considering dropping as 2 halves by cutting longways through the middle (by hand not actually milling) & then felling the halves individually. Not sure if a similar approach could work for you. I'll also be employing machinery assistance to pull mine over. A few more pic's of the area might help us give better advice

Might be possible, but not easy to quarter it, using a type of mill that clamps to your bar and has a bracket that slides along a 2x6 for straight cuts. Screw the 2x6 to the tree and make several passes for the desired depth. Jus sayin

It's been sticking for a year. I was waiting to see if it sprouted. Doesn't look like it will so might as well not let it rott. It might be lighter now? I have a Ex and Track loader than can handle around 9k lbs.

Attachments

• 20210406_190538.jpg
    20210406_190538.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
That is one nasty lookin dude! lol! ---- can you pull it away from the path? --- if not then its either crosscut chunks or as already suggested----quarter it and lift each quarter out.

It's always a bit hard to say from photos, but to me it looks like you could fell it towards where you stood to take that last picture. Make the scarf close to the ground & on the large side so it doesn't fall too far off the stump. Put a chain/rope around it & use your machinery to pull it over once cut. I doubt it will roll over that fork. Removing the aboveground roots that it would land on would probably help too

Latest posts

Back