Canadian Dealer selling Stihl on the Net

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got an invitation from Microsoft to try out their new Live product(their effort to compete with google) and I typed in MS260 Stihl. Much to my surprise I see a canadian dealer selling Stihl on the internet.

Is Stihl changing or is this a renegade dealer? His prices seem to be at or above retail.

http://www.rentalvillage.ca/shopcart/

Way above retail (at least for US prices). It surely seems odd for him to be offering Stihl products like that. "Add to Cart" indeed!

Loads of UK companies sell STIHL on the net, Husky too. Why can't dealers sell STIHL on the net i'd imagine that in America they'd do well out of it given the distances people could live from a potenial dealer.

Four years ago I bought a new 038 magnum from a dealer in Canada through ebay. He said his dealer agreement did not prevent him from selling online. He
sent me a business card with the saw so I presume he was a real dealer. The 038 was no longer available here and it was one of the last available in Canada. He sent me my copy of the filled out warranty card.

MikeInParadise said:
I have no idea if he is a proper stihl dealer or not..

But looks like he sells lots of logging stuff...

Who needs a chainsaw for the small firewood?

They sell a neat little add-on to your tractor for chopping up those logs that are are less than 8 inches..

Link to Movie: http://www.rentalvillage.ca/ms/logchopper.wmv

Oh yeah. That looks like a nice handy little add on until it comes time to pay for it or the first time your arm gets stuck into it. That thing should star in the next edition of Saw IV.
John..

osage orange is what we cut........

..........pretty sure i can't lift an eight incher that high...........

Stihl does not allow online selling for a good reason

Its a saw. It is a dangerous piece of equipment. Stihl does not want to be sued for any related damages if some idiot buys their saw and is not properly instructed about how to run it by a competent DEALER. A DEALER is someone who knows the product, spends their time learning how to service the product and if they are smart, they only sell products you can't buy over the internet. Stihl , after Hugo, found a dealer selling saws out of the back of a truck , not in his territory. They told him to pack up his stuff and get home or they would pull his dealership. The rep was there helping the local dealer get saws together.They also helped bust up a stolen saw ring when someone was selling ms290 saws on ebay- they bought one, ran the serial number and wham, they got the thieves. Stihl wants their product looked at in a serious way by serious people, and that's why you will never see it at lowes or in the depot- Stihl has not forgotten who built their brand- and it was not the mass merchants. The way husky has jerked their dealers around, soon the only place you will find them is online- and it is a shame, they do make some good saws. Here is an example though- a local Husqvarna dealer was livid when they wnet into lowes. someone came by and asked for a quote on a new saw. He quoted them the saw at his actual cost, on his letterhead. They went Lowes, and after arguing enough got the saw for ten percent below dealer cost. This is a true story- it gets better-Husqvarna called up the dealer and told him to knock it off.:)

Dealers teach people how to run saws? hmm, news to me, no dealer never showed me squat, bought a few new Stihl and Husky saws.

dealers

What I meant was- dealer show folks how to operate a saw- as in, how to start it, tips for cutting, suggest the proper safety gear, and so on- espescially when selling to a newbie, proper instruction is a must and is required by Stihl- they are really gunshy of lawsuits.:greenchainsaw:

manofstihl said:
What I meant was- dealer show folks how to operate a saw- as in, how to start it, tips for cutting, suggest the proper safety gear, and so on- espescially when selling to a newbie, proper instruction is a must and is required by Stihl- they are really gunshy of lawsuits.:greenchainsaw:

Oh, it all sounds good.

Hang out on AS for about 5 minutes and you'll know about 10 times more than any dealer we have down here.

Went to a dealer today and inquired as to whether they had any RSC or RSC3. I know better than to think they have it down here, so after they thought about it and played around with looking in their book for 10 minutes I finally told them that they didn't have it and told them I'd settle for RM2 in 3/8ths pitch .050 gauge. She says they have that .050 stuff just like this here and she pulls some picco micro or whatever it is off the shelf and said she'd have them make the 25 inch loop I wanted. She wouldn't listen so I thought I'd wait and when she came out with the loop, that I'd take that opportunity to tell her that I had clearly told her RM2 or whatever it is. For whatever reason she was back a couple minutes later and had decided they didn't have what I wanted.

Went to dealer number 2 and this guy just ended up hauling his spools out one by one so I could say "No, that's not it" until 10 minutes later he brought the most correct spool out.

Gunshy of lawsuits? Okay.

That was the last Stihl chain I'll ever buy. It's just not worth the aggravation. I'm pissed off before I ever get to these dealers because I know that they are going to have their heads up their butts and I'm just not going to be able to pull it out for them.

Some things Stihl needs to start selling online. It's fine and good to say that they are taking care of their dealers. They (Stihl) really need to start taking care of their customers.

dealers

Speaking as someone who sold and serviced stihl for over ten years, I see your frustration. I sell oregon, and total chain in my current position, but I have sold a lot of Stihl chain in the past. Knowedgable employees are hard to find no matter what field you are in-the point I am making is that generally, we are better served by real live KNOWLEDGABLE human beings rather than just pointing and clicking. Years aago, all of the big brands were built up by people who actually demonstrated the saws took them to the woods, and sold them one by one. further, the reputation grew as dealers (good ones) continued building the brand. Stihl still has field rps who work with loggers on cutting problems, and in the ten years i worked in Stihl dealerships, I had very little trouble with the product and nione with the company. The dealer you have described reminds me of one that existed not far from her until a few years ago- another company took the Stihl franchise and isdoing quit well with it now. Of all thecompanies I have dealt with over the years, none spent more time and effort training than Stihl did.

Ask the dealer for their Bar and Chain manual - it's in their Dealer Binder... has all the pictures and descriptions they/you need. If they don't have it in stock (few stock every type of chain... even we don't) they can get it in short order... even one loop at a time. Just ask them to order it for you...

I suppose.

There is yet a third dealer here that stocks only Oregon chain. At the same time, I'm sure I could walk in tomorrow (Thursday) and tell them what I want and they would have it here Monday or Tuesday. Found these guys when I burnt my brake and my clutch. Ordered the parts to fix that on a Friday and got them the next Wednesday. That's not bad. Was just a glutton for punishment today, I guess. That RSC3 stuff is really nice and I suppose I can order some and it won't kill me to wait.

Finally fixed that 460 this past Saturday, by the way. A month and a half later, but I'm really anal about some things and had to order a couple of different torque wrenches before I would put it back together. The delay was all your fault (Lakeside53) because you just had to mention that business of torquing the clutch correctly. I couldn't plead ignorance past that point.

This thread is not about me and my 460 but I will take this opportunity to thank you and everyone else for their guidance in that matter. I had been feeling like I had left that unsaid.

Thanks!

The last time I went into my local stihl dealer looking for RSC they asked me if that was a new part #. None of them had ever heard of such a thing. This was 2 weeks ago.:dizzy:

He quoted them the saw at his actual cost, on his letterhead. They went Lowes, and after arguing enough got the saw for ten percent below dealer cost. This is a true story- it gets better-Husqvarna called up the dealer and told him to knock it off.

Pretty clear the dealer was trying to stick it to Lowes. Why else would a dealer quote a saw at his cost with no profit. Its not coincidence the quoted price was on dealer stationary and taken to Lowes to beat it by 10%.

Now days most saw dealers are worthless. There are a few good ones around but most just want to sell you whats in stock for higher than retail price and they don't even know what they have in stock. Many of you have experienced the glazed over look in their faces when you ask even the most basic questions.

Most of you guys don't even realize that when you go into a shop to buy parts you are probably paying higher than retail price. Why should you since you don't know what the manufacture's retail price is. You just know what the stooge charges you. Husky dealers are that way for sure.

I will buy everything I can off ebay nowdays or places like Baileys. I don't believe in supporting morons, even the local ones.

Back