cane pole bamboo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangkinsey

Reaction score
hello
I'm inheriting my great grandpa's property. the home hasn't been touched in years and a portion of the yard has been taken over by a forest of bamboo. The bamboo is at most 3.5 inches in diameter I have an Echo string trimmer with a brush cutter attachment but it goes through blades because I try to cut them as close to the ground as possible and hit the dirt.I've only used the echo brand brush cutters so far. Are there any suggestions as to what I can rent or buy to get the bamboo either gone or cut close to the ground without breaking the bank?

Check out Project Farm latest video on YouTube. He reviewed and tested a number of these types of blades.

I'm not shilling for him. I just follow his channel, and happen to watch that video earlier this week.

Best of luck.

Any pictures of what you are cutting? How large is the property?
You are not going to be rid of any sort of bamboo by just cutting it down. It will grow over and over again as long as there are roots in the ground, and it will spread underground to adjacent areas also. You'll need to get all of it cut real low, then you'll need to mow the area every few days for a long time until it stops growing. Herbicides don't work well. They just turn the leaves brown for a while then its all grows again. If you want it removed completely now, digging up the roots is usually the fastest way to do it. If you have large piece of property, thats probably not a viable option though unless you can source a tractor with a large tiller and rake to pull all the roots and rhizomes out.

My father's property has a few stands. I use a chainsaw with .325 chain. If you cut flush and keep mowing grass will come back. Try burning the dead sections of bamboo over a wood fire. Sounds like an 12 gauge going off. The children love it.

Latest posts

Back