Cannon super mini question(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brgrdr

Reaction score
Ok, I have a stihl ms260 pro, and ordered a cannon supermini bar for it. Thinking I knew a thing or two about chains the guage was correct, 3/8" chain, correct link numbers, etc. etc. Anyway I knew less than I thought I did. As those in the know probably guessed, a standard chain doesnt seem to sit right on the nose sprocket....so now I have questions. Probably should have asked that b4 I bought it, but I love cannon bars, so I am not crying...yet.

The bar was more to have a spare, and the price was good, so I would like to have the backup operational, and be a little smarter. I am thinking it needs one of the "picco" chains. Do I need to change my drive sprocket too for a picco/ps3/whatever fits?

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks!

On other bars I have read people have filed the nose sprocket to run regular 3/8 or picco interchangeable. The sprocket needs to be pointed more to do it. Not as big a deal on that end since it is an idler not driving the chain.

Ok, I have a stihl ms260 pro, and ordered a cannon supermini bar for it. Thinking I knew a thing or two about chains the guage was correct, 3/8" chain, correct link numbers, etc. etc. Anyway I knew less than I thought I did. As those in the know probably guessed, a standard chain doesnt seem to sit right on the nose sprocket....so now I have questions. Probably should have asked that b4 I bought it, but I love cannon bars, so I am not crying...yet.

The bar was more to have a spare, and the price was good, so I would like to have the backup operational, and be a little smarter. I am thinking it needs one of the "picco" chains. Do I need to change my drive sprocket too for a picco/ps3/whatever fits?

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks!
Can you post some pics?

Can you post some pics?
I can take a few, this far I have some picco chain on the bar I ordered in. I wasnt exactly planning on getting in this deep, but ya live and learn right? I also ordered up some stihl picco p7 sprockets. I also read the entire thread series "Getting Serious About Lopro" lots of good info in there.

For the record, the p7 sprockets do not fit on the clutch drum of a MS260 Pro, they are 7 spline too, but smaller in diameter than the hardware I currently have- which might be an aftermarket Oregon drum- I replaced it a few years ago in this saw, but dont remember with what....anyway, a standard 3/8ths drive sprocket will drive this chain, and appears to be an ok fit, not perfect,, but usable. I will probably just run it til I get that part figured out, and keep an eye on the drivers.

Apparently there is an oem drum part number for this saw for picco sprockets, I saw it on a UK website parts diagram, part number 1121 007 1039. Not sure yet if it's available in the states, if not I'll just order some from europe....what a weird world. I have no saw shops close (240 miles off is the closest one) so parts can get to be a pain whether from England or America lol.

Anyway I did about a half hour of cutting yesterday, I like the picco chain, its fast (full skip, chisel, etc) i was just clearing cottonwood and willow overgrowth around my yard, so nothing hard to cut, but it seemed faster than standard 3/8ths, it felt really nice limbing, so that was kinda cool. Given the hassle to get peripheral parts I will not stick with it if it doesnt last well, but if it gives me decent life, it seems to give a smaller saw a bit less work in the cut allowing faster cuts. Will update once I have a few more hours on it.

On a side note, I hadn't had a lot of runtime on the saw the last couple years, it was running pretty poorly. I forgot to drain the tank and run it dry last year after cutting some logs for my portable sawmill... anyway, got rid of the old gas, put in some fresh gas, ran it for half an hr.

Still stuttering and power seemed down, so I thought, "what the heck before a teardown and carb cleaning I'll try this." Splashed a little seafoam in there and a touch of star-tron enzyme treatment, within a quarter tank it was idling and running right again.

I think the gum in there was minimal and hadnt hardened up yet. I had a lot going on, and just needed to use the saw for some brushing, so I was glad it worked.

I am not a huge seafoam proponent, but I have had enough positive experiences with it to keep a few bottles on the shelf.

Back