Cannon vs Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I bought a 24" Cannon from Dennis 3 years ago and the guide rails show no perceptable wear, however my new Oregon pro 28" shows a fast increase in tolerance. It is my belief that Cannon bars are much harder.
Also, if Oregon bars are softer and Stihl chain is harder than Oregon chain, than wouldnt the Stihl chain wear the Oregon bar faster? Stihl bars made in Germany are at least as hard as the Cannon I am using.
In addition, if I were to use only 73LG in the Oregon bars, would the wear be less, since I use mostly 35RS? Inveresley, if one was to use only Oregon chain on the harder Cannon and Stihl, would the wear be mostly to the drive tangs?
John

I think the newer bars are not the same as the old ones. I have a cannon 32” that has considerable wear after cutting only 1 36’ DBH oak. What bar oil do you use John? Can you get any Stihl heavy grade from your dealer? Hard to find in the GTA believe it or not.

Though I am running Stihl bars mostly right now Windsor is sending me some of their products for evaluation, they state comparable quality at a better price.
Rob.

I like the oregon bars but I have to agree with you John, it seems to me the oregon bars wear a little faster maybe its just me but....

Chain Hardness and Bar Wear

A harder chain in itself does not relate to faster bar wear. A hard and polished surface will cause less wear than a softer one that can embed grit. Some Winsor bars are too hard to file dress and some seem much easier. Dont know how they compare to others but can tell you from experience spec. ing grader blades that advertised Brinnell Hardnes figures dont have as much bearing as you would think on observed wear. A metals ability to work harden can have much more influence than initial hardness.

You cant judge bar weqr by Gypo because since he switched to square ground chain he is forever swapping in the field and gets them on backwards about 50/50. If you look back over his grinding pics yoou will even see some teeth with the trailing edges sharpened. Go Figure!

Frank

i would agree frank. it kinda similar to a mower blade. after running a service that includes lawn care,,30 yrs. ive found that ,a hand filed and then honed or polished edge will last at least five times bett with a sufficent edge to slice your finger,with no real pressure,,to amount to anything... a grinder sharpened blade can be razor sharp but hard to hone up....
this along with the affects of the heat from a grinder ,,,combine to make a very inferior edge... after six hrs in cut theres no comparisom... i think the hone polishing is what really makes the big differences.
that aint jmo ... thats a fact,, i witness all the time... im going to find a piece of leather to see the affects of honing [polishing on my chain] after ive gottum rite... it may not work the same ,,,as a mower blade is not chromed... anyway
the same should apply to bars ,,,,with allowances givin for materials used in their making. now, this being jmo.

Its worth noting that oregon makes Bars for stihl Canada. My local dealer has powermatch bars with stihl printed on them. The only german made bars he carries are 28" and over. Its also worth noting that stihl bar oil in Canada stinks. Thin and runny. Tech 200 from wal mart is much better, and cheaper. It is made by Petro-Canada.

Speaking of bar hardness, I think I am getting stronger the older I get. When I got up in the morning in my earlier days, I couldn't bend my bar, now I can bend it with no problem.
John

Gypo,

Try an implant.......if there's anything left to work with.....otherwise, there's that that V..... stuff.

I have a customer that will fix you right up

by the way, ever find them nuts????

Last edited:
Here is my opinion on this bar talk!!!! Just like anything you only get what you put into it and having said that I will say this.... a bar is only as good as the tip thats in it and the maintence it recieves from you the user. I have a Cannon bar and what tip is in it.....a Oregon tip. That bar did wear great I mean I cut a pile of timber with it probably 4-5 hunrded thousand feet. BUt that was about four tips later and several dress up and rail closing's. I did not like the GB bars they were junk out of the bag, Windsors are alright they guide bars wear great but if you do a lot of nose boring in hard woods the tip sprockets are going to break usually in the stump right in the middle of a cut, that suck! Cannon bars are just to pricey, the last one I bought was almost eigty dollars and for 100 dollar bill I can have three brand new Oregon bars. Woodsman pro are made by Cannon and just slighty cheaper. Oregon tips are are easy to replace I have never had a tip come lose if people are having problems with tips comimg lose then their getting stuck and horsing on the saw to much. I am running a 372 right now with a 24 inch Oregon bar I put the bar on new 2 months ago I have cut 210 thousand feet with it, replaced the tip at 150 thousand feet, dressed and reset the rails and its in the truck right now just waiting for the chance to kill another tree! I will stick with Oregon till they go junk, plus they have a nice paint scheme...........Take care all Wade

Oh! Gypo,I see you have the honey spot on the saw right against your best friend Rumpel Foreskin. You are one sick puppy but I must say it makes me want to go out to the truck right now get my saw, the camera and have my wife click off a few shots. I just hope I am as photogenic as you are!!!! lol take care all Wade

Ayhem … oh Wade,

I think the wife would be a better model with the saw don’t ya think?

After all we don’t want to spook the cattle do we?

Hey Gypo!

I hope that better not have been you streaking in the McDonalds parking lot up in Orangeville last Friday night! :eek:

No wonder your mail box if full!

yep john. i cant figure that out myself . unless the mind has just wore out the rest o the pts. aint kiddin either ,,,im in pretty fair shape ,but aint no reversing father time. oh well five younguns and an occasional hail mary .. guess i ought not complain.:)

Silverblue,
Your right my wife would make for a better pic. However, when holding a chainsaw in front of you even the ugliest can be made to look appealing, I mean look at Gypo, without the saw just an ordinary guy but naked with the chainsaw a supermodel waiting to be discovered he just seems to be with the in crowd right now!!!!...........Take care, Wade

Back