Cant believe im gonna say it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone accepted a certified check for paymemt and can you ever be screwed by it????

Has anyone accepted a certified check for paymemt and can you ever be screwed by it????

If it is someone you haven't previously done business with, I'd tell him once I have the funds he can have the saws. A certified check is not considered funds to me until it clears the bank. Too many scams and counterfeiters out there for me. I even bought one of those bill marking pens at the UPS store to detect counterfeit bills. I typically never accept anything other than cash. "In God we trust, all others pay cash" that's how I do business. If they don't like that, they don't have to buy it.

Check.....Spooky.
Cash is king. Of coarse!

I still accept Paypal if payed as friend/family or the fees are payed in addition to cover the complete asking price. As soon as my paypal acct. records payment I pull it into a separate savings acct. setup for those payments only. Only acct, associated to P.P. Never really had a problem with P.P. but have had others say they "have heard" horror stories and won't use it! Likely those with trouble had been boondoggled by a fake sale ad or buyer. Normally easily recognizable . To each there own. Guess I have been fortunate.

Postal money orders are nice. However. Any form of check/M.O. needs to safely clear my bank. I don't recall how long it takes to really clear? Haven't sold enough lately to remember. Ask your bank. Never ship early. Ever! Good luck.

Check.....Spooky.
Cash is king. Of coarse!

I still accept Paypal if payed as friend/family or the fees are payed in addition to cover the complete asking price. As soon as my paypal acct. records payment I pull it into a separate savings acct. setup for those payments only. Only acct, associated to P.P. Never really had a problem with P.P. but have had others say they "have heard" horror stories and won't use it! Likely those with trouble had been boondoggled by a fake sale ad or buyer. Normally easily recognizable . To each there own. Guess I have been fortunate.

Postal money orders are nice. However. Any form of check/M.O. needs to safely clear my bank. I don't recall how long it takes to really clear? Haven't sold enough lately to remember. Ask your bank. Never ship early. Ever! Good luck.
Hes a local business guy and the bank is also local. He gave me a contact at the bank that is gonna issue the check to confirm validity also. Hes gonna be picking up the saw in person and before hand will be also calling my bank to ask about how long funds clear after check is deposited. I told him I prefer cash but he says he wants to write a check for tax write off reasons??

Hes a local business guy and the bank is also local. He gave me a contact at the bank that is gonna issue the check to confirm validity also. Hes gonna be picking up the saw in person and before hand will be also calling my bank to ask about how long funds clear after check is deposited. I told him I prefer cash but he says he wants to write a check for tax write off reasons??

Not saying this will happen, just playing devil's advocate. He gives you a check, you give him the saw, he takes saw home that day, puts straight gas in it. He accuses you of selling him a junk saw and within a 20 second phone call to his bank, he puts a "stop payment" on the check. Where does that leave you? No money, no saw, and a guy that won't return your phone calls or the saw. Like I said, I have the funds or I have the saw, at no time would I be willing to have neither. I'm not trying to tell you how to conduct business, but he can pay you cash and you can give him a receipt and he can still write off on his taxes.

Not saying this will happen, just playing devil's advocate. He gives you a check, you give him the saw, he takes saw home that day, puts straight gas in it. He accuses you of selling him a junk saw and within a 20 second phone call to his bank, he puts a "stop payment" on the check. Where does that leave you? No money, no saw, and a guy that won't return your phone calls or the saw. Like I said, I have the funds or I have the saw, at no time would I be willing to have neither. I'm not trying to tell you how to conduct business, but he can pay you cash and you can give him a receipt and he can still write off on his taxes.
That is true. Thank you.

I'm not trying to tell you how to conduct business, but he can pay you cash and you can give him a receipt and he can still write off on his taxes.

ditto.

However. Hard to believe he would jeopardize his reputation locally over the money your dealing with? Strange deal. Bet your next ad specifies cash only! Good luck.

+1..... the 576 is probably my least favorite pro series Husky, and the 441 is my least favorite pro series Stihl. I'd sell them both and buy a 372 and a 461.
Fixed :rolleyes:.
Then I'd probably buy another 576 AT ay another time :).
I can quit any time I want to.:chainsaw:
Quit what :popcorn2:.
Many ways to get paid, and many ways to be raked over the coals. If you ain't feeling it you probably shouldn't do it. Talk it through prior to doing anything and make a deal happen that you feel good about. This is no guarantee either, but at least you will feel as though you made an effort to check through things best you knew how.
The lessons that cost us the most are the ones we forget the slowest.
Just remember if you don't sell them you won't loss anything, but neither will you gain anything.
No risk no reward.
Shoot me a Pm if you want me to look anything over specifically JR.

Fixed :rolleyes:.

Many ways to get paid, and many ways to be raked over the coals. If you ain't feeling it you probably shouldn't do it. Talk it through prior to doing anything and make a deal happen that you feel good about. This is no guarantee either, but at least you will feel as though you made an effort to check through things best you knew how.
Just remember if you don't sell them you won't loss anything, but neither will you gain anything.
No risk no reward.
Thanks, I will. I will work it out tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes. Probably tell the guy to meet at the bank branch and immediately cash it and then give him the saw, that'd be the safest bet.

Fixed [emoji57].

No risk no reward.

The worst is sending a guy $1,150 worth of P.O. money orders for a saw, & it not getting there for 2 weeks, & sending another $1,150 worth of P.O. MOs, & the guy not see it on his Online banking register for a week because it didn’t show up as 2 transactions till last night.

True Story.

My normal Bank Lady was out for 1 of the deposits, so she never questioned it.

All he needs is a receipt form you for tax purposes. a cancelled check makes it easier but if thats the case, then tell him to take you to his bank, and once you have cashed the check at his bank and got the cash in hand he can have the saws. if he blows smoke when you ask this tell him to **** off as he is a scammer. His bank can confirm and clear the funds as you hand it to them so their would be no dispute nor issues.

ken

(edit: noticed that you came to the same conclusion...smart man.)

The worst is sending a guy $1,150 worth of P.O. money orders for a saw, & it not getting there for 2 weeks, & sending another $1,150 worth of P.O. MOs, & the guy not see it on his Online banking register for a week because it didn’t show up as 2 transactions till last night.

True Story.

My normal Bank Lady was out for 1 of the deposits, so she never questioned it.
Oh snap.
You know I have a few myself. I was just talking with another member about this earlier today, and we came to the conclusion that you just never know.
Sounds as though someone just got a couple heated handle saws with a capitol S on them :sweet:, tell us, we all want to know Heath :D.

Oh snap.
You know I have a few myself. I was just talking with another member about this earlier today, and we came to the conclusion that you just never know.
Sounds as though someone just got a couple heated handle saws with a capitol S on them :sweet:, tell us, we all want to know Heath :D.

The buyer says he will talk to the P.O. tomorrow & stop the fraud claim: I asked him how he wants his money back & he said he wasn’t sure yet.

The buyer says he will talk to the P.O. tomorrow & stop the fraud claim: I asked him how he wants his money back & he said he wasn’t sure yet.
The good thing here is it's all a matter of miscommunication, to many times these days someone is running a scam, very sad.
Hope you guys get it all worked out quickly.

What is this world coming to that there is paranoia over a simple private transaction. Legitimate paranoia.

Sad.
Its true though. You have to be on guard with everyone now. I sold a saw to a guy who paid cash all $100 bills. When I want to deposit them the atm kept spitting out one of them. I had to assume it was counterfeit or maybe just old. I wasnt taking a chance with the teller, so I had the gas station guy verify it and he said it was good.

SOLD!!! Guy sent his "mechanic" (seamed more like.a yard hand) to look over the saw. I dont think he even knew what to look for. I basically walked him through the whole thing. Before he came I verified the check with the bank branch and deposited it immediately after with zero issues thankfully. He says his boss is using it for personal use milling boards. At the end of the day I sold it for $750 (441, 36 and 20" all Stihl ES Bar and RS Chains)

SOLD!!! Guy sent his "mechanic" (seamed more like.a yard hand) to look over the saw. I dont think he even knew what to look for. I basically walked him through the whole thing. Before he came I verified the check with the bank branch and deposited it immediately after with zero issues thankfully. He says his boss is using it for personal use milling boards. At the end of the day I sold it for $750 (441, 36 and 20" all Stihl ES Bar and RS Chains)

good to hear a solid ending to this. now I would make sure that the new buyer knows the importance of maintenance and proper pre-mix so that he will not be coming back in a week or two with a gassed saw.

Back